4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 2:03 AM by Hollymet RSS

Elements 9 - TEXT is too small! Like a DOT!

Hollymet Community Member

Im starting to hate this blooming ELEMENTS! I want CS4 back!

ANY WAY, in cs4 to add text to an image, I used to just add a new layer, click text, add the text box and edit text from there,

In ELEMENTS, the text is coming out like a line of dots, even if you change the size 1000pt, if found A way around it, but its not good! I assume its some thing to do with resolution,...

If you open new window then change the resolution to about 100 ish THEN you can play with the text and then move it back to your first image/window, but its not a very good or time efficient method...

WHAT is going on?? ANY help please??

• 1. Re: Elements 9 - TEXT is too small! Like a DOT!
          99jon MVP

It’s usually to do with a image having a high resolution.

I usually re-size first and then add text.

I’ve also set up a regular size PSD file which has a text bar with background opacity. I tend to use this as a template, then dragging any new image up from the project bin and simply re-edit the existing text layer. It’s not a perfect work around but in the absence of the ability to record and run actions, it saves me time.

• 2. Re: Elements 9 - TEXT is too small! Like a DOT!
            MTSTUNER Community Member

The text engine in pse 9 is not much different from cs4, so you

should have plenty of control of your text size regardless of the

document resolution. Perhaps resetting the text tool by clicking

on the small downturned arrow and choosing reset tool will clear things up.

Below is 24 pt text on an 8 x 10 at 300 resolution.

Also you can set the text size before actually typing (going by the size of the blinking cursor).

• 3. Re: Elements 9 - TEXT is too small! Like a DOT!
              MTSTUNER Community Member

When you make a new document make sure the resolution

is not set something super low like 1 or 2 pixels/inch or cm.

• 4. Re: Elements 9 - TEXT is too small! Like a DOT!
                Hollymet Community Member

Hi every one

just for any one else with this problem... This was the response that I got from Adobe help, I couldnt do all the things they asked me to do, so I started with the simple "re-load" tools, and it seemed to do the trick! but incase that doesnt work, here is the official advice!

Based on the information provided by you, I understand that when you try to add a text to an image it comes out so small like a dot, even if you manually make the text 1000pt in Photoshop Elements 9

I would be glad to assist you & we will work together as a team to find out the best possible resolution for your issue. In this case I advise you to please follow the below mentioned steps for the resolution of the issue.

A) Re-create Photoshop Elements preferences

To re-create the Photoshop Elements Editor preferences file:
                Close the Photoshop Elements Editor.
                Rename the Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 Prefs.psp file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 Prefs.old) in C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Editor.
                Open the Photoshop Elements Editor. The Editor creates a preferences file.

B) Reset Tools

Look up to the Options Bar. On the far left side you will see a button which displays an icon of the currently selected tool. This is the Tool Preset picker. As indicated by the little down-pointing triangle, if you click once on this button a menu will drop down,you will see two entries:

Reset Tool and

Reset All Tools

Click on Reset all tools.

C) Create a new user account with admin rights by following the instructions given in the link
                http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404912.html \

D) Download and install the Photoshop Elements 9.0.3 update by using the link

Then check that it is working or not. if it still doesn't work then please provide us the below mentioned information.

1) On which type of file you are adding the text?
                2) Does the issue persist with a different user account?
                3) Does the issue persist with all files or a particular file?
                4) Also send the screenshot.