1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 3:48 PM by resdesign

Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We publish Math and Science curriculum and we run into the problem below.

the second bullets is imported wrong in CS5. Is there a work around? (I also emailed Design Science). We'd rather use CS5 since all our other subjects are done in CS5 and we want to be able to use spanning across columns which does not exist in CS4.

The same happens when using MT Extra instead of Euclid Extra.

CS4 bullets.png

CS5 bullets.png

• 1. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
          John Hawkinson Level 5

You are placing the same eps file in both CS4 and CS5?

Perhaps you should post the file. If you have it saved without previews, it should be less than 100 lines of text.

• 2. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Yes - the  same eps file generated by MathType is placed in both CS4 and CS5 and produces a different result. We do need to use the second bullet and it is the one that is a problem.

I do not see an option to upload an eps file in the forum posting.

• 3. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Just use >> Syntax Highlighting >> Plain.

EPS files are just ASCII text. So open it in your favorite text editor (or NOTEPAD or TextEdit; you don't say if you're on a PC or a Mac), and Copy, and then Paste in the browser.

• 4. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Well, consider this: we have between 400 and 600 equations in a unit and we will be working on 30 or 40 units this year - a total of 12,000 to 24,000 equations. There is not way I could open each equation and edit the files.

There is a glitch somewhere - we need to find it and solve the issue.

Maybe there is a script out there that could correct the problem.

• 5. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I think you have misunderstood me.

Our goal here is to UNDERSTAND the problem so we can consider how to solve it. Determine if it is an InDesign problem, and Operating System problem, a Mathtype problem, etc.

I am not proposing that you should edit the file by hand (though it would undoubtedly solve your problem).  We are at the beginning of the debugging phase. Proposed solutions will only come later.

But you'll need to supply the file for that phase to even begin.

(You could also upload the file to pastebin.com, or to a more heavyweight filesharing service like yousendit.com, though as I said, I would just post it here in the forum). What's the delay? You've asked for our help, but you need to give us more information!

Operators are standing by.

• 6. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Sorry about that, I did not mean to frustrate you.

I do not see a place in this editor to upload the eps file or the inDesign package. I would gladly do it. The only place I see I can upload something is the image and it does not accept the eps format.

I have one eps file created by MathType where I inserted the 3 possible bullets and the one we need to use is the second one.

I placed the eps file both in CS4 and CS5 and posted the results.

Please let me know how I can upload this file here.

I use Windows 7

CS5

Files are here:

eps file

http://www.box.net/shared/cpgpa85xf8oiffzcngki

cs5 file

http://www.box.net/shared/a41v5htq2l4t0zc35b0y

cs4 file

http://www.box.net/shared/ch9n4q45njpe426tmz9t

• 7. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                      John Hawkinson Level 5
                      Please let me know how I can upload this file here.

I thought I was pretty clear when I said: "open it in your favorite text editor (or NOTEPAD or TextEdit; you don't  say if you're on a PC or a Mac), and Copy, and then Paste in the  browser."

but anyhow, what you did worked. So here's the file:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
                      %%BoundingBox: 0 0 9 44
                      %%Creator: MathType
                      %%Title: Eq003.eps
                      %%CreationDate: 08/15/11
                      %%DocumentFonts: EuclidExtra-Bold
                      %%+ EuclidSymbol
                      %%DocumentNeededFonts: EuclidExtra-Bold
                      %%+ EuclidSymbol
                      %%DocumentProcessColors: Black
                      %%Baseline: 20
                      %%Dimensions: H=0.611, W=0.125
                      %%EndComments
                      %MathType!MTEF!1!1!+-
                      %feaagCart1ev2aaatCvAUfKttLearuasLXMDLrxAJfgi1udis9
                      %wBH5gatCvAUfeBSjuyZL2yd9gzLbvyNv2CaeHbuLwBLnhiov2D
                      %Gi1BTfMBaeXafv3ySLgzGmvETj2BSbqegeKCPfgBaebbfv3ySL
                      %gzGueE0jxyaibaieYlNi-xH8yiVeYhPi-hEeeu0xXdbba9frFj
                      %0-OqFfea0dXdd9vqaq-JfrVkFHe9pgea0dXdar-Jb9hs0dXdbP
                      %Yxe9vr0-vr0-vqpWqaaeaaciWacmGadaabbeaabiWabuqaaOab
                      %aeqabaGaeyyXICnabaGaeS4JPFgabaGaeyOiGClaaaa!45B9!
                      %MathType!MathML!1!1!+-
                      %<?xmlversion="1.0"?><!--MathType@Translator@5@5@Ma
                      %thML2(Clipboard).tdl@MathML2.0(Clipboard)@--><math
                      %display='block'xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/
                      %MathML'><mtablecolumnalign='left'><mtr><mtd><mo>&#
                      %x22C5;</mo></mtd></mtr><mtr><mtd><mo>&#x00B7;</mo>
                      %</mtd></mtr><mtr><mtd><mo>&#x2022;</mo></mtd></mtr
                      %></mtable></math><!--MathType@End@5@5@-->!
                      /MTsave save def 50 dict begin
                      /bdef {bind def} bind def
                      /xdef {exch def} bdef
                      /rndpos { transform round exch round exch itransform } bdef
                      /rndvec { dtransform round exch round exch idtransform } bdef
                      /rnddist { 0 rndvec pop } bdef
                      /rndmvto { rndpos moveto } bdef
                      /rndlnto { rndpos lineto } bdef
                      64 -1516 .03125 -.03125 scale translate
                      /fs 0 def
                      /sf {exch dup /fs xdef dup neg matrix scale makefont setfont} bdef
                      /f1 {findfont dup /cf xdef sf} bdef
                      /ns {cf sf} bdef
                      /sh {rndmvto show} bdef
                      0 setgray
                      384 /EuclidSymbol f1
                      (\327) -30 300 sh
                      (\267) -24 1452 sh
                      384 /EuclidExtra-Bold f1
                      (g) -18 876 sh
                      end MTsave restore

But of that, really, only 5 lines matter:

384 /EuclidSymbol f1
                      (\327) -30 300 sh
                      (\267) -24 1452 sh
                      384 /EuclidExtra-Bold f1
                      (g) -18 876 sh

The f1 lines select a font, and the sh lines display a specified character at the given x/y position.

I don't have the EuclidExtra font, so I guess I'm a bit impaired in my ability to debug this. But what happens if you select the font in InDesign and type the letter 'g'?

Also, I did specify mention an EPS file without preview -- yours has a preview. Do you see different behavior without the preview?

• 8. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Hum...The end of my posting mentions my OS which is Windows 7.

What is clear to you may not be clear to me. Sorry, anyway, The files are rather small with or without preview.

No difference with or without preview.

The bullet appears properly in InDesing when adding a text frame and typing "g".

It is when placing the eps file that it does not read the font properly.

• 9. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                          John Hawkinson Level 5
                          Hum...The end of my posting mentions my OS which is Windows 7.

Yeah, but I was quoting my reply from post #3. You didn't mention Windows 7 until post #6. Retroactive continuity adjustment?

Well, that's pretty weird. What happens if you use notepad and save this as test.eps and place it?:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
                          %%BoundingBox: 0 0 100 100
                          /EuclidExtra-Bold findfont 24 scalefont setfont
                          50 50 moveto
                          (ggg) show

• 10. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Got the wrong sign like the other eps.

• 11. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Huh. Just for laughs, now with try this string instead:

( ggg)

I think I'm going to await Adobe's view on this.

• 12. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Presumably, Jongware, you don't have Euclid Extra Bold installed. In which case ID substitutes Courier, and this is no surprise. *g*

Where does the font come from, anyhow? [I suppose it could also be a flaw in the font.]

• 13. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Ow come on John. If it's on the interweb, it's free innit? ... innit? (Copyright protectors needn't fret; I have no use for this font, I swear* by real Unicode fonts only, so this one is going into the 'bin as soon as we're done here.)

Here:

Screen shot 2011-08-15 at 10.30.00 PM.png

Left one is with the string (ggg), right one with ( ggg). Oh and it also works with any other character than a space, only then you get ta see that character -- and also the bullets.

* Loudly and often.

• 14. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

(Wait, perhaps I'm making this even more complicated because the title & first post say it only happens with CS5. I did this on CS4.)

• 15. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

The font is installed with math type. There is also a font called MT Extra. It is the same and the same problem occurs.

I could post the package with the font and you could try it.

• 16. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Is any of you familiar with MathType?

MathType is a pluggin for Word to write equations. When the file is done, we export all equations as eps files. Each equation is its own eps.

Eps are then imported in InDesign.

The font is fine since it appears OK in CS4.

The problem occurs only in CS5.

So I assume CS5 is not interpreting the eps file correctly.

or

It is another problem.

Remember, the font is interpreted correctly when done in a text box directly in InDesign.

It is only in the imported eps file that the problem occurs and only in CS5.

PS: the font is Euclid Extra or MT Extra

• 17. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

resdesign wrote:

Is any of you familiar with MathType?

Yeah, so?

resdesign wrote:

It is only in the imported eps file that the problem occurs and only in CS5.

Did you try the experiments John & I suggested? These minimal EPSes also fail, and exactly the way you described, on my CS4. Examining the Postscript file that InDesign creates shows nothing out of the ordinary -- it contains the exact two strings I used for input.

This appears not to be something a User-to-user forum could solve and so I'd strongly suggest to report it to Adobe.

• 18. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

I tried all kinds of experiments. I guess I will talk to Adobe because I really think it is a CS5 problem.

• 19. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                              John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm not so pessimistic, Jongware. I haven't had a chance to look

in detail, but I am suspicious of the font.

Also, I'd bet he'd get a much better answer from Mathtype.

Given the time it takes Adobe to answer these things...

• 20. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

I wrote an email to MathType at the same time I posted first here. No answer so far.

1- the imported eps file is the same whether in CS4 or CS5

2- the font is installed and it works properly in a textbox - If I type g in euclid extra I get the bullet.

3- the behavior is different in CS4 and CS5 - the same file produces the bullet in CS4 and not in CS5

So it seems to me that CS5 is the problem.

I would prefere to use CS5 for lots of reasons and this is why I'd like to have an answer.

I am not sure how to contact Adobe for this.

• 21. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

http://adobe.com/go/supportportal

I could go into detail on why I think it is probably the font, but

I suppose you wouldn't believe me anyway, so suit yourself.

(Fonts can change the appearance of glyphs based on their relative position

to other glyphs).

1 person found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

You seem to be a little too uptight! I will read your explanation if you post it. However if it was the font, it would not appear right in one version of the suite and not the other, IMHO.

Also if you want to try the font, I can post it. You can just delete it after testing.

Thank you for the link.

• 23. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Let's keep it friendly.

• 24. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

BTW, Jongware, I was a bit unfair about the fonts. You can sign up for the 30-day free trial of Mathtype and then you get the fonts. Furthermore, the strong implication is that you need not delete them after the trial period is over, and therefore you also can extract them from the installer for use like this with no compunctions (which is what I did). Source: MathType: Font Installers.

redesign: Moving right along, just like Jongware, when I open your CS4 document in CS4, I see the same behavior Jongware saw and the same behavior you saw in CS5 (which I also see in CS5), namely the goofy circle glyph (seems to be GID 64 and U+F069):

cs4bull.png

I did have to turn on high-resolution previews, though otherwise I got something else entirely.

I notice, however, that you seem to have authored this file using some 3rd party plugins:

plugins.png

Since that seems to be a math-related plugin, it doesn't seem inconceivable that it is part of the issue.

I suggest you disable it and re-test in CS4.

The font does seem a bit goofy...The goofy circle glyph appears in FontForge, as a ccwcontourcircle, but not in
                                                        standard Mac font apps, like TextEdit. It's also the 'i' position in the font.

I don't know enough about fonts to dig and really figure out why you get one character when it is first and another when it is second, but I really don't think this is InDesign. Oh, right, let's look at the EPS file in another program...

Curiously, Preview.app indeed shows the bullet glyph in the first position (and in the second).

Adobe Illustrator, which I opened by accident (ha!), shows ccwcontourcircles.

So it seems that Apple and Adobe's EPS renderers treat this font differently.

I suppose it might be an Adobe bug, but I'm more inclined to suspect its ambiguous... The way the ccwcontourcircle is encoded seems strange to me.

Well, I think that's enough for me. Basically, Jongware and I see consistent behavior with CS4 and CS5 — oh, actually. Are you using CS4 and CS5 on the same machine? Or on different machines? Because...I suspect this is handled by the AGM library, and it may well be that using CS4 on a machine with CS5 makes it use CS5's AGM library. But that might not be true at all, just speculation.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what Jongware's newfound Adobe Support optimism is based on. I suspect you'll hear from Design Science in the next day or two, and maybe from Adobe by September. But perhaps I am too pessimistic on Adobe Support right now.

I suppose making it consistently ccwcountour doesn't help you overmuch though. Hrmm.

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

John Hawkinson wrote:

..  I'm not sure what Jongware's newfound Adobe Support optimism is based on.

A process of elimination. It appears to be a genuine Adobe problem, possibly related to some weird stuff inside the font. Like you, I don't have the tools (nor the time) to investigate any deeper. It's certainly not something as simple as "a preference setting".

• 26. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Oh yes, Jongware Holmes. When you have eliminated the impossible,

whatever remains, however improbable, must be Adobe Support.

I suppose we could test with some other postscript interpreter,

like Ghostscript, or even a printer with Adobe PostScript...

• 27. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

(A very cursory glance at the font showed this:

euclidextrabd.PNG

So the character at the position for a 'g' bears the name "i". No wonder InDesign and other programs get confused.

The problem is the font design -- you need to re-build the font to correct this, and if you attempt it yourself that's sure to mess up its magic properties wrt MathType.)

• 28. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Sigh... you know, I actually noticed that and didn't put two-and-two

together?

Because guess what chracter is the "i"? That's right, ccwcontourcircle.

Now, why this causes misbehavior based on ordering, I'm not so

clear on. Mumble mumble spot adfko mumble mumble.

Are there magic mathtype properties in the font? I had not noticed.

Of course, there's nothing that prevents you from using one version of

the font with Mathtype and another version with InDesign. Well, nothing

other than complete rampant confusion.

But it sounds like it's time to talk to Design Science...but we knew that.

Are they occasionally awake on this forum though?

• 29. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

John Hawkinson wrote: (stuff)

Are there magic mathtype properties in the font? I had not noticed.

The danger in fiddling with the font itself is not what's encoded inside this font (it is a regular -- if there is such a thing -- "Symbol" font) but you don't know how the various characters are used in MathType. Glyph index? Character encoding? PostScript name? Change the wrong one and MathType won't be able to work with it.

• 30. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

I have been following your discussion from my phone since I had to be out of the office early this morning.

Thank you for all your input.

I do have CS4 and CS5 on the same machine(s). Several of us in the department work on the same files. The same thing happens on all the machines.

CS4 has the InMath pluggins and it is used to do math equations from inside InDesign. We do need to keep them because we still have editing to do on curriculum that was done this way and CS5 does not have a version of InMath - the author does not support his pluggin anymore and therefore did not update it for CS5. So I guess we are stuck on that side. However, CS4 does read the font properly and so if a solution is not found, we will have to continue using CS4for the 3 courses we need to work on. I dread this but we do have deadlines and we might not be able to wait for a solution to be found.

I will send a link of this discussion to MathType support so that they see your valuable input.

I tend to think that CS5 does not read the eps file correctly.

I am afraid that I will have to wait for Adobe to answer my post if they ever find it important enough. I would hope that the people at Design Science (MathType) will get in touch with them to solve the issue which is bound to affect other people besides our company.

Thank you again for your input.

• 31. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                      MrMathType Level 2
                                                                      I suspect you'll hear from Design Science in the next day or two...

Quite right; here we are. :-)

But it sounds like it's time to talk to Design Science...but we knew that. Are they occasionally awake on this forum though?

Yes, every day Monday through Friday, in fact.

...the strong implication is that you need not delete them after the trial period is over, and therefore you also can extract them from the installer for use like this with no compunctions (which is what I did). Source: MathType: Font Installers.

Yes, that's correct. The font installers at that link provide the fonts, which you are free to use outside of MathType, and without MathType installed. The EULA for our fonts is also posted on our website, but the terms are pretty liberal.

Ok, now that the introductions are out of the way, let me say that I don't work in Support so I don't have access to the mailbox at which you (resdesign) contacted us, but I'll touch base with them to coordinate any action required on our part. With regard to the 2 characters in question, these are in the Private Use Area, so are very much font-dependent. You'll no doubt find both of these characters in other fonts in different positions, and with different Unicode code points. What I find interesting in all of this is why ID CS4 treats it one way and CS5 another. (And my assumption is that we don't know at this point how it acts in CS5.5, right?)

I'll look in to the issue further, and report back.

Message was edited by: MrMathType. Corrected a typo.

• 32. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Welcome to the thread MrMathType. I did send the link of this thread to tech support at Design Science but do feel free to talk to them.

Thank you for your participation here.

• 33. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Just a slight addendum to my claim above it also fails in CS4. That was on my Mac! On my Windows machine the font works as expected, in CS4.

(Sorry, I can't test for CS5 or newer.)

• 34. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Interesting! I just tested the file in CS5 on a MAC and it is worse than on Windows - even the symbol font does not port right!

I suppose you also noticed that the two other bullets are actually Euclid Symbol and not Euclid Extra. So in Windows 7 Euclid Symbol works while Euclid Extra does not and on Mac neither are rendered properly.

screenGradEquation03.jpg

Message was edited by: resdesign - corrected typo.

• 35. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign

Since the problem has not been solved by Design Science or Adobe, I am wondering if anyone knows what math font could be used to replace the Euclid font serie so that the multiplication signs are properly imported in InDesign.

NB: Design Science tech support told me they have not solved the issue and if they do it will be included in the next upgrade which will come out who knows when. We have several courses to publish and are not able to wait for a new release of MathType.

If the problem is CS5 - I am wondering if anyone could try this in CS5.5 to see if it was corrected in that version.

• 36. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                                movemen-David

Hello Resdesign:

My name is David and movemen GmbH is offering InMath® customers upgrades for use with Adobe CS5 and CS5.5. Here is a link to the mt.editor product page on movemen.com—http://movemen.com/products/details/mt.editor/ .We rebranded the product name—which is 100% compatible with legacy InMath content. If you have additional questions please contact us at info@movemen.com.

Thanks,

• 37. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                                  Maria964 Level 1

Hi redesign,

Try this and see if it works: save your bullet equation in MathType in the wmf format and place it in Indesign. What do you get?

Maria

• 38. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'll bring this thread back to life with some news:

http://movemen.com/news/entry/movemen-launches-mt.importer-1.0/

I haven't tried it but there's a free trial link on that site.

Bob

• 39. Re: Problem with MathType and CS5 due to InDesign
                                                                                      MrMathType Level 2

Thanks for the news, Bob. I'm checking out the trials & waiting for my license keys. Meanwhile, to movemen-David or anyone else from movemen, the link is broken on the downloads page for Math Tools Project Selector Extension CS5 + CS5.5. (Already tried the obvious -- changing the extension to zip -- but that didn't work.)

Bob

1 2 Previous Next