3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 10:41 AM by Rick Gerard

AE Composition @ 300dpi?

KingHippo

Doing a video for an LCD DIsplay. The specs provided say 399px x 658px at 300dpi. Can I even create an AE comp at 300 dpi?

• 1. Re: AE Composition @ 300dpi?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

KingHippo wrote:

Doing a video for an LCD DIsplay. The specs provided say 399px x 658px at 300dpi. Can I even create an AE comp at 300 dpi?

Whoever wrote the specs doesn't know anything about DPI. There is no DPI in video. Never has ben, never will be. There's also no such thing as DPI in a digital image. It's PPI. DPI is dots per inch and is a description of a half tone screen for offset printing. There's also no such thing as PPI or DPI when it comes to web images. Take these two JPGS for example. One is 1 PPI the other is 9999PPI. They are both the same size. If you were to put both in a publishing program like In Design, then the 1 PPI image would print very large and the 9999PPI image would be nothing but a dot.

9999ppi.jpg

1ppi.jpg

Hope that helps. Make your comp 399 X 658 and send them the video.

• 2. Re: AE Composition @ 300dpi?
            KingHippo Level 1

Yeah I thought it smelled fishy. I am failry new to video so I wanted to confirm. I thought they may have known something I was unaware of. Thanks for taking the time.

• 3. Re: AE Composition @ 300dpi?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just for fun put the 9999ppi image in Illustrator or Word. You won't be able to see it unles you zoom in to about 6400%. Then place the 1 PPI image. 

Just out of curiosity is the video for a mobile device. The specs for the IOS development kit call for a ppi tag for iPhone / iPad apps. Maybe these are the only devices that use ppi settings to size images because of the different resolutions of the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 screens.