5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 10:51 AM by lasvideo

PrP limitations?

lasvideo Level 4

Im working on necessary chops for future music video cutting today and Ive bumped into what I hope is not a limitation in PrPs ability. Simple stuff.

Im cutting to a music track.

1. Clip 1 starts out with time remapping at 400% then at 1 second on the timeline a keyframe drops it to 50%. So far so good. The clip continues for another second full screen, then at a keyframed point 1 second  later squeezes down to 50% and moves to the left (a la Burn Notice) to reveal another image underneatch also scaled 50%( on the right). Premiere on clip 1 is ignoring the Motion keyframes and is not executing the scale down and move left motion. I want to do LOTS of this style of cutting on a future project and if PrP cant handle it, I will have to seriously consider other options.

• 1. Re: PrP limitations?
          lasvideo Level 4

From experimentation it looks like PrP cant handle do time remapping AND motion on the same clip. By nesting the remapping then applying the motion effect I got it to work.

• 2. Re: PrP limitations?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

No, Premiere Pro can handle it--it's not a bug, and you found the way to deal with it--but it's just a function of the order in which effects are rendered. By default--doing it the way you were originally--the Motion effect is rendered first, followed by the time remapping. As such, if you have an animation that would take 1 second without time remapping, and then you slow down to 50%, it will now take 2 seconds. If you nest the remapped clip first, you're "prebaking" the time shift into the clip/nest, so that when you apply your Motion effect, it takes 1 second as designed.

FWIW, After Effects has similar limitations, and precomposing (the AE analog of nesting) is often required to trick the rendering engine to applying effects in the order you like.

• 3. Re: PrP limitations?
              lasvideo Level 4

Render order...I understand. My problem is having Avid DS as a past reference for this kind of stuff . It did just about whatever you wanted with clip manipulation. But of course it DIDNT have a dynamic link to AE.  Must keep things in perspective.  ;-)

• 4. Re: PrP limitations?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah, c'mon... you can't compare DS to Premiere Pro I cut for years on Avid and never quite got the hang of DS--of course, that was first-gen when Avid just tried to hang the MC interface on it in bizarre ways. I'm sure it's changed a bit since then...

Back to the subject at hand: you're not the first to encounter this particular quirk. It's caught most of us at one time or another. It seems completely illogical at first blush, until you analyze what's really at play. Even then, you'll find yourself wondering just what the heck is going on every now and then.

More practically, nesting time remapped clips is a pretty good practice anyway, given their tendency to "accordian" in a sequence. In their own sequence, time remapped clips can freely expand or contract to accommodate the speed change.

• 5. Re: PrP limitations?
                  lasvideo Level 4

Yes, it maybe an unfair comparison, but to PrPs credit I can do more in toto with it and AE and plugins. I worked on DS for 12 years and I must admit, switching from Media Composer was difficult at first. But as with everything, time allowed me to appreciate then love what it had to offer. Im confident that experience will be repeated with PrP, with Adobes support .