3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 1:12 PM by Jim_Simon

Transferring Premier Pro CS 5.5 Projects To Another PC

wet_bimbette Level 1

Hi,

If I wish to work with some Premiere Pro CS5.5 project files on another PC that has an installation of Premiere Pro on it do I need to copy across any layout or template files in addition to the project file? Or, do I only need to copy across the project file and the source files for the project?

I would be grateful for any advice about using project files on another PC to which they were created.

Rgds

• 1. Re: Transferring Premier Pro CS 5.5 Projects To Another PC
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are a couple of ways to do this.

First, you need all Assets used in the Project, and the PRPROJ file. Note: there is no Media in the PRPROJ file, just links to where it was, when you Imported them.

There can lie a problem. Those Assets are linked via Absolute Paths, so when you migrate your Project, if the Path changes, in any ways, one will get the "Where is file ____?" query, but PrPro makes locationg the files fairly easy. First, there is a Find function, and also a Show Exact Matches, to help. Locate the first missing Asset in a folder, and PrPro will then survey that folder, linking to all Assets in it, that are used in the Project. If the Assets are in different sub-folders, then one must repeat that process, per sub-folder.

One can also use the Project Manager, to archive a Project. This is often the easiest way to handle what you need. As there are several options in Project Manager, I would spend some time with the Help File, and go over all of those options. If you have any difficulty there, drop back with specific questions, and someone will help with your understanding of those options.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Transferring Premier Pro CS 5.5 Projects To Another PC
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Workspaces--that is, panel layouts--are saved into project files, so that when you reopen it on another system, the panel layout should be the same.

Presets for various portions of Premiere Pro--sequences, effects, encoding settings--as well as title templates and things like keyboard shortcuts, are separate files. The locations of these vary; some are in your My Documents folder (look for the Adobe folder), some are in your user data folder (AppData\Roaming on Windows 7), and still others are inside the Program Files folders. It's frankly a huge mess.

If there are any specific kinds of PPro extension files you want to move, list them and I'll point you in the right direction. This is definitely one area that Adobe needs to improve--moving projects is one thing, but maintaining your preferences and way of customizing your editing experience is a massive pain.

• 3. Re: Transferring Premier Pro CS 5.5 Projects To Another PC
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The short answer is, you need the project file and the source files. That's it.