3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 6:50 AM by LimitedMouse

2d motion capture

LimitedMouse

I am wanting to do a talking 2d character, but I would like to just use motion capture instead of drawing and editing every frame to make my character talk.

All my searching for tutorials or examples on facial motion capture has either resulted in large $5 grand studio setups, tutorials on how to import it onto a 3d image in Maya or a bunch of 14 year olds putting up a tutorial on motion TRACKING...not motion CAPTURE.  I need my image to adjust not just move around the screen.

My character is a pumpkin.  So all I need is a set of black eyes and a black open mouth that will mimic what I say and will not be show in real time.  Just need it for a short talking pumpkin movie.

The only video I have found that I think is close to what I am looking at is here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuUNz_w1fw

but of course he doesnt want to share any info on how he created it (or atleast not enough to be useful).

If anyone can steer me in the right direction on how to do this...I would be most greatful.

• 1. Re: 2d motion capture
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can put tracking marks on someones face, then track them, then apply the track to shape layers in AE. It's not motion capture, it's motion tracking. Mocha would be a good tool for this. The key to success is careful planning and careful photography. I don't have a link off the top of my head to point you to, but if I think of one I'll send it along.

• 2. Re: 2d motion capture
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Rick already pointed out, you do tracking, not capture in AE. "Capture" would imply that there is a fixed reference structure that can be associated algorithmically. What you want to do is perfectly possible in AE without spending any money, it just needs to be set up accordingly and of course there will be limitations here and there, requiring manual work, but it's not that it can't be done at all... E.g. you could still easily track each point and then use scripts like Tracker2Mask to have a mask shape follow them. And of course if you are willing to spend some money, this can be expanded by using other tools... I for instance have developed a setup for a client using FreeForm Pro...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 2d motion capture
              LimitedMouse Level 1

Thank you very much for the information.  I am watching some tutorials on both of those ideas right now and I think this might work for me.

Thank you again.
              Mike