5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 8:48 AM by Islanders66

Using Mac's

Rats1 Level 1

Ok, I am sure thi shas been asked before, but here I go...  What is the oldest Mac can I use for the 5.5. I do know you need one of the latest G5's. I am looking at a Mac from 2009~2010. Also I see from the Apple's site that the graphic boards that they list you can put on the G5 does not include the one's that Adobe recommends. So can you use the graphics board from Adobe's list in the new Mac and the same for an older Mac?.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Using Mac's
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Graphics boards.  Do they have any nVidia boards for those older units?

Performance.  If you only are going to be using DV or maybe HDV you might get by but if you have to deal with any other more complex decoding I would not even suggest a 2009 vintage PC for the current Premiere version.  It really takes a lot of quad core horsepower and RAM to smoothly edit AVCHD.  You can see I know nothing about the insides of Mac hardware.

• 2. Re: Using Mac's
            Islanders66 Level 1

I've read a few folks here with 2008. Apparently that one doesn't have some of the bugs of the newer ones. Doesn't the Mac Pros have a limited number of hard drive bays? You will probably need a RAID so add on the external devices as well to the cost if that is the case. BTW why are you buying a Mac Pro? Why not a Windows? If you are doing the "switch" deal from FCP you can change to Windows platform.

• 3. Re: Using Mac's
              Rats1 Level 1

Yes I have a Mac & I am going from FCP to Adobe. I can go either way Mac or PC. I just happen to like Mac, but I also see that Pc's work better then a Mac would with 5.5, so i guess I 'll just go with a PC!..  Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Using Mac's
                Jim_Simon Level 9

i guess I 'll just go with a PC!

Welcome home.

• 5. Re: Using Mac's
                  Islanders66 Level 1

It would be interesting to see what kind of PC you could build with the same budget. I like OSX as well. I have used Macs for over 10 years. Also checked out some used Mac Pro options, and went with a Windows. It took a few days to figure out where things were, but it's been flawless. I use most of the same programs and apps so it was a good time for me to switch. I can't afford a Mac, although something like a Mac Book Pro and FCPX is a good option for a lot of people.