2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 8:40 AM by Jim_Simon

Cleaning up before archiving...

ExactImage Level 3

When a project is complete and the time comes to archive it, there are LOT of temporary files hanging around the hard disk that:

a) I don't want to archive (they're temporary files!)

b) I don't want to leave hanging around taking space when they are no longer needed.

These include:

1) Render files

2) Conformed Audio Files

3) Other files that I have no idea why they are there!

What is the official way to clean things up?   Clicking Clean Media Database doesn't seem to help, and since PP insists on sharing the same cache folder for all projects it's sometimes hard to know what you are deleting.

So, how to I clean all the temp files for THIS project ready for archiving and deleting from the system?

• 1. Re: Cleaning up before archiving...
          Colin Brougham Level 6

1) Render files

Rendered previews should be in a specific folder, so those can just be deleted. You can also use the Sequence > Delete Render Files command within Premiere Pro; this deletes ALL render files for ALL sequences, not just the current one.

2) Conformed Audio Files

I have my system set up to dump all CFA files and other similar files in a folder separate from my media (I've turned off the Save Media Cache Files Next to Originals option and specified a location). This actually makes cleaning up a bit more difficult; if they're in the same folders as your media files, you can just sort by extension or search within the folder to select and delete them. I can do this in my common _MEDIACACHE_ folder I've created, too, but I need to be a bit more conscious of what I'm doing, since all projects are dumping files there.

3) Other files that I have no idea why they are there!

What other files, specifically? PEK? MPGINDEX? IMS? QTINDEX? XMP? For the most part, they're all safe to purge; Premiere Pro will recreate them as necessary.

Clicking Clean Media Database doesn't seem to help, and since PP insists on sharing the same cache folder for all projects it's sometimes hard to know what you are deleting.

There are two parts to the Media Cache DB: the actual media cache files (what we've mentioned above) and the actual database itself. The media cache files are what occupy the most space (and time to generate); the MCDB is what tracks the locations of those generated files, and lets other Adobe applications know where they are so that they aren't regenerated every time you import an asset or reopen a project. Once you've taken the media files and the media cache files away, that's the time to clean the DB; they're tiny files (really just text files) but since PPro needs to be reading the database to know where stuff is, it's beneficial to clean it now and then.

Here's a screenshot of a before and after cleaning on my Media Cache DB files:

mcdbclean.png

It's a small amount of savings, but worth doing on occasion. I'd agree that it would be nice if this command (or another similar command) would allow you to actually purge the media cache files themselves, after a project is archived and media is taken offline. That would be particularly helpful to those of us who use a common folder for the media cache files.

Hope that's some help!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cleaning up before archiving...
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            since PP insists on sharing the same cache folder for all projects it's sometimes hard to know what you are deleting.

I just go ahead and empty the folder every now and then.  Anything PP still needs will be regenerated next time that project is opened.