7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 8:29 AM by Jim_Simon

Monitor recommendations

J-MS-pK2BxC

Can anyone please recommend a suitable 22" 16:9 1920 x 1080 monitor for use as my hero monitor via a Blackmagic Intensity Pro.  Colour accuracy needs to be as okay as it can be - without going up to the pro-grade reference monitor level.

I will be editing 1080 25p, and outputting via  HDMI.

A new Dell ST2220L, which claims to be full HD does not recognise a progressive signal.  It's fine at 50i.  The on-screen message prompts me to supply it with an input timing of 1920 x 1080 @60Hz.  This, of course, is what is being output from the Intensity Pro.  The BM support team tells me that the Dell is not handshaking correctly.  

I have had the card outputting 25p to an older iiyama 16:10 monitor and an LG HD TV, so I know that the Intensity Pro does sync at 25p. 

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Monitor recommendations
          Jim_Simon Level 9

What's your budget?

• 2. Re: Monitor recommendations
            J-MS-pK2BxC Level 1

Well, Jim, I don't have the budget for a studio HD monitor.

My Dell 2220 was £150.  But, I'll consider up to £300.  I know it's not a lot, but I'm not looking for something I can grade my shots with.

• 3. Re: Monitor recommendations
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Hmmm.  Here's the problem.  In that price range, you're likely to find only computer monitors at that size, and computer monitors don't make the best choices for CC work.  You're better off bumping up the budget to get a real production monitor, or bumping up the size to get a real HDTV (preferably plasma).

• 4. Re: Monitor recommendations
                J-MS-pK2BxC Level 1

Hi Jim.  Thanks for the reply.

I have a CRT monitor for colour correction, thanks.  That's not why I need the 1080 25p monitor.  I want an HD monitor so that I have a general idea of how the final image will appear to the average viewer.  As I said - it's the hero monitor.   I tried the HDTV route - and cyan was none existant and uncorrectable.  Someone recommended a computer monitor and, on paper, the Dell spec seemed fine - and its colours are fairly good (cyan a little weak) but it won't handshake with the BM Intensity Pro at 1080 25p.

All I want is a Dell HS2220L equivalent  - but one that can handle 25p - and I can't keep buying and returning monitors if they don't work.

Hence the post asking whether anyone had any experience at this end of the market.

• 5. Re: Monitor recommendations
                  Jim_Simon Level 9
                  I want an HD monitor so that I have a general idea of how the final image will appear to the average viewer.

Ah.  In that case, by a Vizio and don't calibrate it.

• 6. Re: Monitor recommendations
                    J-MS-pK2BxC Level 1

I can't actually find a Vizio monitor in the UK.

Have you actually hooked one up to a BM Intensity via HDMI and chucked 1080p at it?

• 7. Re: Monitor recommendations
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

I was just making a joke.  Vizio is the most popular brand of flat screen TV in America, and chances are that 99% of people who buy one never touch the default calibration.  So, if you want to see what the average viewer sees...

I don't have any third-party hardware, so I can't comment on how well they work.