Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems opening PDFs from SharePoint 2010 with Acrobat X Pro

Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having problems integrating pdf document support into Sharepoint 2010?

I now have the icon showing for any pdf documents saved in a Document Lirary, However I don't get the options of Checking out - editing an checking in. There is also no revision control. I think that when I open a pdf document, the servers own copy of Adobe Reader opens, and not my local copy of Reader or Acrobat X pro.

I've done what it says in the Administrators guide for Sharepoint integration and I'm still unable to get this functionality to work. As we use interactivve pdfs for a lot of our internal documentation the pdf integration features are very important.

Any help from users who have already been through the pain of sharepoint integration would be really appreciated.

Regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you trying to access the PDF documents from the document library? Are you navigating to the document library in Internet Explorer and clicking the document from there or through a mapped drive?

Opening the PDF from SharePoint library is supported in Internet Explorer. Are you accessing this through some other browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm navigating to the document library using Internet Explorer 9 and opening the document through the Sharepoint drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you click PDF document? Does the file open in browser or does it launch Acrobat/Reader on your machine?

Can you please also try opening the pdf through a SharePoint library mapped as a drive? Right-click My Computer>Map a drive. Type the URL of the SharePoint library and click ok. From the mapped drive, double click a PDF in the library. Do you see a prompt that asks you to check-out the file? Do you see SharePoint Server menu item under the file menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I click on the pdf document in the document library I get the following check box:

open.png

I click ok and the file opens up in the browser window. However I cant edit or save.

If I try to open up the pdf through the sharepoint Library directly I get the following error message from Acrobat X

reach.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bmcqueen,

Could you please check  if the webclient service on your system is started by going to the following:

On Win7

start->Services and checking the status of webclient

On WinXP

start->run->services.msc and checking the status of webclient

If its not started, please start it and check if the document opens through the mapped drive .

I believe you are using Win7?

thanks,

Shivani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Shivani,

My webclient was set to manually start. It had stopped so I've started it.

However I get the same error when I navigate to the folder and try to open any of the pdfs. "The URL you have provided could not be reached. Please verify.........."

Regards,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Looking at your initial problem of not being able to open the SharePoint hosted PDF document from the web browser.

Could you please verify that as per the "Enterprise Administration Guide", the DocIcon.xml file of your server contains the following line:

<Mapping Key="pdf" Value="AdobePDF.png" OpenControl="AdobeAcrobat.OpenDocuments"/>

Please verify that the OpenControl attribute is also mentioned correctly. Without this the Acrobat Active X component would not be invoked.

thanks,

Shivani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivani,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've checked the docIcon.xml file and included OpenDocument which was missing.

I now receieve the following error message when I try to open a pdf for editing from the Sharepoint document library.

Any ideas what I should try to fix this current error message.....

pdferrorM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivani,

Do you know if  the active X control AdobeAcrobat.OpenDocuments needs to be installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

No activeX control needs to be installed. Could you please verify one thing though? Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX and look for AcroPDF.dll. Right click on this file> Properties. Under the details tab and look for the version for this file and let us know.

Thanks,

Richa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richa

Can you confirm whether you are referring to the server or the client?

On the server I can't find the adobe folder you refer to below. The server doesn’t have Adobe Acrobat installed, only Adobe reader.

The client has Adobe Acrobat X installed AcroPDF.dll v10.1.0.534

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the properties of the AcroPDF.dll from my Sharepoint Server

server.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

The Active X version at the client side is fine.

Since you have made changes to docicon.xml , could you please see if restarting the SharePoint server helps.

thanks,

Shivani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any clue on this? I can't get rid of the "The URL you have provided could not be reached" error when opening certain PDFs. They are definitely there, as you can see them perfectly fine in the library.

Any help or additional things to try would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven’t been able to solve this issue yet. Its on my to-do list to investigate further. Ít would seem that integration between Sharepoint and Adobe documents isn’t as straight forward as it suggests in the Adobe integration document.’

It would be great if someone out there who has already gone through the pain of the Adobe-Sharepoint integration could provide a few pointers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this problem ever solved? I am encountering the exact same issue, however it's not when opening every PDF. Typically I get this error when trying to open PDFs larger than 3MB and when trying to open previous versions of a PDF. I get the same exact error as the OP, which states that the URL cannot be reached. My DOCICON.xml is configured properly, because again, I can open some PDFs with no problem at all.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines