5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 5:26 PM by AE Noob

Importing

AE Noob

Hello forum, I've been wanting to get into AE for a while, just didn't have the time. I've found some and have started playing, but am immediatley running into problems. I went through the faqs, and have learned enough to get me started, but I am having trouble importing video files, other than pc samples, or tut sample files.

I tried importing avi movies that a made(not on premiere), and I can only hear the audio in the ram prev. I've also tried downloaded files(flv avi) that I downloaded using realplayer extension, in which it states that the file is damaged or unsupported. FLV and AVI are both supported, so I'm lost.

Do I need to find an alternate method of downloading youtube type videos? I tried a movie torrent in which it listed another problem, but it would open on premiere. Again lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Importing
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FLV and AVI are just containers. The codecs inside them might not be supported. There are a lot of different codecs out there. Some of them are less friendly than others.

• 2. Re: Importing
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

FLV is not meant for editing. It is merely a delivery format. Any number of things can go wrong here. And as Szalam already pointed out, AVI is merely a container. In your case the downloaded files probably get converted by your tool and inside use DivX or something equally unsuitable. if you're just looking for testt footage, simply check Revostock and otehr stock footage sites. They have plenty of free stuff, even if it may not always be the best quality. Also on Vimeo users will many times allow downloading the source clips, usually some variation of H.264 including clips directly off the camera which should give you plenty to play with...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Importing
              AE Noob Level 1

Thanks for the quick responses. I found in prem pro's faq's that to transode flv's for importing into it, you needed "On2 VP6" codec. I downloaded it, installed it to no avail. I'm not sure what I could do differently. There must be a way, or else it wouldn't be listed as supported. I've tried many different flv's.

I've also tried a different downloading tool to no avail. What would be an example of a suitable one?

It says the file has an unsupported compression type.

• 4. Re: Importing
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  Thanks for the quick responses. I found in prem pro's faq's that to transode flv's for importing into it, you needed "On2 VP6" codec. I downloaded it, installed it to no avail.

You misunderstood.

The On2 VP6 codec is included with After Effects and Premiere Pro, so there was no reason for you to download anything else.

> It says the file has an unsupported compression type.

If you're trying to import an FLV file and you get that message, it's because that FLV file was created using the Sorenson Spark codec, which After Effects and Premiere Pro do not include. There is no way to import an FLV file created with Sorenson Spark into current versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro.

After Effects CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4 can import FLV files created with Sorenson Spark.

If you have After Effects as part of a CS5 or CS5.5 suite, then you also have the CS4 products, since they're included in the package. If you need to transcode FLV files created with Sorenson SPark, you could use those CS4 applications.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Importing
                  AE Noob Level 1

Thankyou sir, I fully understand now. I actually did think something similar, and tried a great deal of flv's, looking for one that didn't use sorenson, and none worked. The codec's in the file's info never labeled sorenson as the codec, always something else though.

How can I access those cs4 tools?