5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 9:10 AM by Colin Brougham

Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)

RuesterProd Level 1

I have CS5 Master on Win7 x64 pc

I have a Premiere sequence with an AE linked comp in it...

If I am using proxies (created at high quality, not low) or pre-renders (in AE comp), would that have any affect on render/export times in Premiere Pro (or Adobe Media Encoder)?

What is the best workflow for having AE comps in Premiere to maximize export times in PPro?

Thanks all!

• 1. Re: Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Are you talking about rendering a proxy and putting it back into your AE comp, e.g. on top of the component layers? If so, theoretically that should make rendering/exporting in Premiere Pro faster since you don't have rendering going on in AE as well; Dynamic Link is simply passing the prerendered frames to Premiere Pro.

Am I following what you're talking about doing?

• 2. Re: Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)
            RuesterProd Level 1

I believe that's what I'm talking about, I'm not clear on what you mean by putting the proxy back on top of the component layers, I thought that was andled automatically when you go to create proxy in After Effects, it lays it over the top of what you have, right?

• 3. Re: Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Umm... sure? To be perfectly honest, I've never tried it!

As it is, I don't think that's the case; you can set a post-render action in AE to import the rendered file back into your project, but I don't think there's an automatic replacement or addition to the existing comp. You'd have to do that manually. But given that, if you're already rendering out a finished comp, why not just import it into Premiere Pro and forget about the Dynamic Link?

A proxy in AE is essentially a low-resolution version of a footage item, not a finished comp. So short of doing a bait-and-switch where you build your comp, render it out of AE, import the rendered file back in, and put it as a layer into the finished comp (on top, presumably, since that will basically null the rendering of the other layers below), I don't believe there is a more straightforward workflow.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)
                RuesterProd Level 1

Thanks for your reply Colin,

Well, the main reason I was asking is that I want to render out layers I will not be changing (for instance A color correction effect over the video portion of my comp) to save time in the future, not the whole comp, as I will most likely be making some changes to the rest. So that's why I was wondering how the Dynamic link reads these.

I did ended up finding out that rendering and replacing in AE (Pre-rendering) does make my exports faster from Premiere.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Dynamic link with After Effects workflow questions... (exporting from PPro)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I did ended up finding out that rendering and replacing in AE (Pre-rendering) does make my exports faster from Premiere.

Good--it definitely should. You're significantly lightening the rendering load since all the effects, transformations, etc. are baked into the pre-render. As long as you're using a high-resolution, uncompressed or losslessly-compressed intermediate, you shouldn't notice any quality hit, but you will notice the time difference. I don't know if there will be a significant difference in rendering time once its aggregated, but for stuff that you won't be changing or will be reusing frequently, it certainly makes sense to pre-render.