11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 1:02 AM by bersbers

Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)

jmattis

Suddenly the Adobe Reader tells me I have to have administrator rights to check updates from the help menu. Never happened before.

If I run Reader as an administrator everything is just fine.

Not a big problem (I usually update Reader via Filehippo's Update Checker) but anyway: ???

• 1. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Are you admin on your system? Is it XP?

• 2. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
            jmattis Level 1

Yes, I'm the administrator.

This computer has Win7 with all updates.

That feature (error 1200) only occurred after installing Reader 10.1.0, everything was fine with previous versions.

For comparison: I still can use the "check for updates" option from the help menu on other programs, e.g. Word updates don't give an error message.

• 3. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
              LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

OK,

Can you please:

1. Find and delete AdobeARM.log file in the current User Temp folder

2. Enable verbose Updater logging by setting iLogLevel REG_DWORD value in the registry below

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\1.0\ARM on 64bit OS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe ARM\1.0\ARM on 32 bit OS

2. Run "Check for Updates" from Reader menu

3. After you dismiss error dialog from Updater  find AdobeARM.log file in the current User Temp folder and make it available either by posting here or upload some place so I can look at this issue

Thank you

• 4. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                jmattis Level 1

I'm not very used to editing the registry; I know how but need instructions for idiots... ;)

So, if you'd please clarify exactly what to change in these:

I'm running Win7 64 bit (in finnish as is the ReaderX too) and the current values in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\1.0\ARM) are:

(default) REG_SZ (no value set) and

iCheck REG_Dword 0x00000000 (0)

The AdobeArm.log currently reads:

[date&time] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging started.
                [date&time] Command Line:
                [date&time] ProductCode: {AC76BA86-7AD7-1035-7B44-AA1000000001}
                [date&time] ProductName: Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) - Suomi
                [date&time] ProductVersion: 10.1.0
                [date&time] ProductRegistry: SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0
                [date&time] ProductInstallDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\
                [date&time] UAC Patching is found enabled
                [date&time] Std User on Vista with UAC off - IsElevated returns 0.
                [date&time]    Error Code: 1200

[date&time] Not enough priviliges to run - returning 0
                [201date&time]    Error Code: 1008

[date&time] ** Setting Error Condition:
                [date&time]    Error Code: 1200

[date&time] ARM returns ERROR_SUCCESS
                [date&time] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

• 5. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                  LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

No problem,

The log shows that you are Standard User on your system with User Account Control turned off.

[date&time] Std User on Vista with UAC off - IsElevated returns 0

These conditions will not allow Updater to continue.

You have to either log in as Admin type User or turn on UAC.

If you do not know how to turn on UAC please follow these instructions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                    jmattis Level 1

OK, my bad - and running Reader as an admin takes care of the problem...

Still, this doesn't explain why this has never happened before in earlier versions...

Anyways, as I said: no big problem - let's leave this as is.

Thanks for taking the effort.

• 7. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                      TheDroidFactory

I'm experiencing the same issue on two PCs.  Both are Windows 7 Home Premium (x64).  Both are running Adobe Reader 10.1.0.  Both have all Microsoft updates installed.  Both get the error 1200 when trying to update Adobe Reader.

The message in the AdobeARM.log file is the same... "Std User on Vista with UAC off - IsElevated returns 0."

Yet, UAC is actually turned on.  The OS is WIndows 7, not Vista.  And the user account (on both PCs) is an Administrator account.  (It is the default account created when you first unbox the PC and set it up).  I even verified it by going to user accounts (through the control panel) and it shows the accounts as administrator accounts.

Prior to Reader 10.1.0, I don't recall ever seeing this error.

I first tried an uninstall, reboot, and re-install Adobe Reader.  That didn't help.

I thought maybe it was my antivirus, so I disabled that.  No help there either.  I even went so far as to uninstall my antivirus (and reboot), but that made no difference, so I re-installed it.

I created a new account that was an administrator as well, logged in with that account, and tried the update.  Same error message.

It seems like the updater is not getting the proper UAC/user account info from Windows itself on WIndows 7 Home Premium (x64) PCs.

I have a Vista Home Premium (x64) laptop as well.  It has the same antivirus (Avast), same Adobe Reader (10.1.0), and all Microsoft updates installed.  UAC is on, and the account is an Administrator account. I don't get this error on the Vista laptop.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DF

• 8. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                        LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Could you please check for me what is the EnableLUA value in the registry below on those systems where Updater failed-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                          TheDroidFactory Level 1

Odd.  EnableLUA was not found in the registry at that location.  Wonder what happened to that entry...

I decided to turn UAC off and then back on.  After that, I checked the registry again, and it was there! (with a value of 1).

Once that key appeared in the registry, I was able to check for Adobe Reader updates.  No more error 1200!

Thanks LeoAdobeX!!

• 10. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                            jmattis Level 1

Thanks to you, too, DroidFactory - turning the UAC off and then on again solved also my problem.

The registry value was not there, then appeared with a value of 1.

So happy when something annoying gets fixed :D

• 11. Re: Error code 1200 when checking updates in Reader X (10.1.0)
                              bersbers

Sounds like Adobe forgot to implement a default value in case this variable is missing. Indeed, EnableLUA is missing on a lot of system even though UAC is enabled (as it is by default), and adding the entry fixes the problems immediately withou changing Windows behavior.