4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 9:59 PM by Colin Flashman

Importing tables with footnotes?

sheridanmc

Hi all,

I'm working on a very complex reference book that has a bunch of tables containing footnotes intermixed with regular text that also contains footnotes. In the Word version I am importing, the footnotes at the bottom of the page appear in the correct sequence, whether they happen to be in tables or regular text.

However, when I import a chapter into InDesign in rtf format, I wind up with two separate stacks of footnotes: the tables have one stack, beginning with #1, and then the text has another stack, also beginning with #1. This is a little frightening, I must say, because this book has literally thousands of footnotes, and if I have to address them all by hand I'll lose both my mind and my shirt. Can anyone help?

If it helps to see the source material I'm using--an rtf file--I have a very small chapter I could upload to serve as an example.

Thanks,

Sheridan

• 1. Re: Importing tables with footnotes?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign can't do footnote references in Tables.

Please make a feature request as I have done since 2005. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The workaround is to move insert a fake superscript number in the table and move the real footnote outside the table.

I then style the footnote outside the table with a special character style set to None for colour and 1pt size, 1pt leading, so not to disturb the spacing too much, you may need to remove the Paragraph Spacing too - a Paragraph Style with a GREP style would work.

InDesign and footnotes have not been updated since I started in 2005, and even before then. Frustrating.

• 2. Re: Importing tables with footnotes?
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

dang - eugene beat me to it!!!

sadly, it has to be "faked" - it can't be done in InDesign.

Adobe confirms this in its own Adobe Certified Exam InDesign CS4 proficiency exam testkit (question 3.2) where it gives the answer to:

Edit and format a table. You want to insert a footnote number in a table cell and place the footnote at the bottom of the table. What should you do?

as

You use the Type tool to manually type a footnote number in the cell. You then add an extra row at the bottom of the table, and insert the footnote text in it.

frankly, that isn't good enough.

• 3. Re: Importing tables with footnotes?
              sheridanmc Level 1

Well, this is illuminating. Thanks for your responses. Frustrating indeed. I wonder how publishers with heavy reference books handle this, and why they haven't shouted from the rooftops for a fix. (Maybe they have?)

I did find a workaround for my purposes. In my case, I don't want the footnote in the table itself, I want it at the bottom of the page in sequence with all the other (many, many) footnotes on the page. Here's how I made it work.

1. Highlight the entire table in Word (rtf format) and Merge Cells. The text divided into cells winds up in a single column in one cell.

2. Copy-paste the merged text below the table.

3. Zap the table into oblivion.

Then, when I import the rtf file into InDesign, I use tabs to align the table text so it's configured like it was in the table. For my purposes, I don't really need the table grid itself, just the stuff inside it. The important thing is that the footnotes go into InDesign intact and in order. Thank god.

Thanks again. You saved me trying to figure out how to do something that's impossible.

Sheridan

• 4. Re: Importing tables with footnotes?
                Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

sheridanmc wrote:

Frustrating indeed. I wonder how publishers with heavy reference books handle this, and why they haven't shouted from the rooftops for a fix. (Maybe they have?)

indeed we have... and continue to do so. this is not a new request either and persists to be a problem with each and every upgrade.

still, christmas is around the corner... maybe?