11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 5:23 AM by Kerry Bramley-Hough

Anchored objects?

Kerry Bramley-Hough

Using CS5.5 Is there any way of resizing a text box containing anchored object/s proportionally so that it also resizes with the text?

• 1. Re: Anchored objects?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It looks to me as if when you scale the frame (NOT resize the frame, but actually scale it, which also changes the size of the type inside) you anchored objects will also scale with the type.

• 2. Re: Anchored objects?
            Kerry Bramley-Hough Level 1

Thanks for reply Pete,

I should have explained that the Anchored object is itself a group of objects, which contains text and graphic. When I scale the whole thing (text box including anchored object) it snaps back to its original position and refuses to move. I should also explain that I'm scaling using the old cmd+shift and dragging from any corner which, incidentally, works fine in CS3 with same file?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Anchored objects?

I tried this in CS5 (5.5 isn't on this box at the moment, but obvioulsy needs to be soon ) and it worked with the mouse and keyboard as well as the scale fields inthe control panel, but I used a single object, not a group, as the anchored object. Either groups behave differntly, CS5.5 behaves differently, or there's a problem on your end. I'll test on another machine in a bit, if I remember.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Anchored objects?

Thanks again Peter.

Is there any way I can send you the offending file (I've already stripped out all irrelevant parts and resaved and zipped ready to send).

Its very strange that CS3 copes with the same file with no issues!!

Cheers

David

• 5. Re: Anchored objects?

Sure. Send me a link in a Private Message (click my name to go to my profile). I just tried this on my laptop with CS5.5, and it worked exactly as I expected.

• 6. Re: Anchored objects?

Got your files, and I see what it is you are talking about, and I've seen it before. It's realted to how fast you drag, and the number of objects that are affected by the scaling. Try dragging slower, or use the scaling fields, and see if you have more success.

But the other basic question is why use anchored objects AT ALL for what you are doing (as you surmised I would ask in your message). Would not a character style that applies glyph scaling (NOT an absolute size) and possibly baseline shift or tracking, do what you want? That could be applied as a GREP style...

• 7. Re: Anchored objects?

OH, wait, I see, it's a not-available glyph in Fontin. (your font won't work here as I'm on windows, let me see if I have my own copy of Fontin).

• 8. Re: Anchored objects?

Have you considered using Fertigo Pro from the same foundry? Also free, and very similar to Fontin, but the Reg and TM symbols are in caps.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Anchored objects?

Magic!! Thanks Peter, that has been a great help!

I hate to say this but although it has fixed the personal issue for me, using a different font to create the glyph, the original problem is still unsolved. Surely if CS3 can handle the anchored object/s, CS5.5 should too? I tried waiting for several seconds with cmd+shift+cursor clicked on box corner, also making the outer circle filled rather than stroked and also outlined the font thinking one of these sticking points may solve it, to no avail!

The main issue is I have 600+ documents using the same anchored objects that need to be regularly resized for different marketing purposes.

Hmmmm, this one has me stumped!

Thanks again

David

• 10. Re: Anchored objects?

It's not how long you wait to drag, it's how fast you move the cursor once you start, and it can be very hard to control. have you tried using the width'height scaling fields in the control panel? I seem to recall that they work when dragging doesn't, and if you know the dimensions you want you can type them in, including the units.

For that large a group of files it might also be worthwhile to head over to the scripting forum and see if there's a scripted solution.

• 11. Re: Anchored objects?

Hi Peter,

I tried the slower dragging several times but box snaps back to original place every time. Once the Fertigo font used I can drag box with no issues at all!

The dragging also work without hitch in CS3 using original file?

If I try to use the scaling method by typing a percentage in the control panel I get this message appear:

Requested operation would cause one or more objects to be too small.

Please check whether the stroke weight is too large.

I'm thinking of hanging up my 'anchored objects' boots, preferring the quick 'new font' method you have kindly suggested!

Many thanks for your help on this Peter, much appreciated!

Cheers

David