17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 10:22 AM by phyllisj9

Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay, I don't know why I've never asked this because I keep running into it:

Is there any way to update the contents of a package without creating an entirely new package?  I package my layouts (so that all the links and fonts are in subfolders).  Periodically I need to update the package, either with new links or new fonts.  There's no way to do a partial packaging job, is there?  And package just the newest stuff?

I'm mainly running into this now because I'm (for the 1st time) working in an InCopy workflow.  I want to make sure all the fonts are available in the "Document fonts" folder so that they'll install automatically when the editor opens the layout.  But I know I'm sometimes introducing new fonts as I go, but I can't always tell which ones.  I tried re-packaging a layout that I'd been working on and noticed there were several more typefaces in the "Document fonts" folder.

Any suggestions on how I can stay up to date?  I need the editor to work on this simultaneously with me but don't want to keep hitting him with font requests that aren't in the folder.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The answer is no. If you want to be sure of having the most up to date package then repackage everything.

Bob

• 2. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks, I figured as much.  It's kind of a problem since I can't just overwrite the original package.  I end up with 2 identical folders, and invariably the server hangs when I try to delete the first one.  Have to log off my computer and back on before I can get rid of the first copy of the design.  Really irritating.  And I'm guessing I'll have to tell the editor to get out of InCopy over and over so I can refresh (repackage) everything.  Blah.

Maybe it's easier to wait until the end to involve the editor though I was hoping to save time by having him work on sections all along.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 3. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)

Why are you packaging an InDesign file with InCopy links?

Bob

• 4. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                phyllisj9 Level 2

Just trying to find a way to update the "Document fonts" and "Links" folders without having to manually hunt down all the fonts and links.  Attempting to give the editorial dept as few errors as possible, but I may be better off just installing lots of fonts on his machine.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 5. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can add all the fonts you want manually. Same with links.

• 6. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)

You didn't answer the question...why are you packaging with InCopy content. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Bob

• 7. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                      phyllisj9 Level 2

I don't want to be!  I was trying to find a way to update the contents of the package (without having to do it all manually).   Right now I'm just testing to figure out a method of working.  There are no disasters because no one is working on these files and they are just tests.  But yes, I see why packaging would cause a problem with InCopy stories.  They'll be moved to the Links folder, and the editor would then need to work out of the new folder instead of the old!

Even before InCopy, I've had many occasions where I had to package the same document several times to collect everything.  I then have to go back and delete the previous folders so they don't get confused.  I also have to get rid of the InDesign file that's outside the package (or rename it as "backup") so that doesn't get confusing either.

In general, I really need a collect-only-the-stuff-that's-not-already-packaged option.  But I might be alone in needing that.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 8. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                        It's kind of a problem since I can't just overwrite the original package.  I end up with 2 identical folders, and invariably the server hangs when I try to delete the first one.  Have to log off my computer and back on before I can get rid of the first copy of the design.  Really irritating.  And I'm guessing I'll have to tell the editor to get out of InCopy over and over so I can refresh (repackage) everything.  Blah.

This behavior or workflow is not normal.

Why is it that you cannot overwrite the original package?

Are people writing to your package after you have packaged it before you wish to revise it? That seems a recipe for disaster.

If they are not, why does the server prevent you from deleting the first one? Perhaps it's a question for your IT department, but what is your file server and why are others permitted to write to this file if it should be read-only for them? Perhaps you can just fix the permissions.

Even before InCopy, I've had many occasions where I had to package the same document several times to collect everything.  I then have to go back and delete the previous folders so they don't get confused.  I also have to get rid of the InDesign file that's outside the package (or rename it as "backup") so that doesn't get confusing either.

That is a disaster waiting to happen!

Ideally you should organize your files and folders so you know what is the "live" file and what is not, and generally speaking not work out of a packaged folder, which you should reserve for moving files to others without access to the same filesystems (be they network or local) as you.

Anything else is...not really how packaging was designed, and you're going to have problems.

But I don't see why you're doing it the way that you are? Perhaps you could repeat the explanation?

• 9. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                          phyllisj9 Level 2

Eh, I think I should give up on explaining this.

I often use "Package" to organize.  This is because I'm pulling in so many different pieces into a layout.  I work on a magazine where I'm often picking up ads from the previous issue.  Because some of them are precisely placed, it's easier to copy the frame and paste in place than do a new File>Place and then move it into the exact spot.  But of course that means I'm then linked to an ad in an older issue whereas I'd really like to have every piece of each issue contained in one folder for that issue.  So eventually I package everything.  It makes me nervous to wait until the very very end to organize everything, so I package too early in the process and ultimately I end up with pieces that are not inside the package (new links).  Rather than manually hunt them down and move them, I eventually package everything again. I can't overwrite the original package because packaging always creates a new folder.  But I'm careful to get rid of obsolete files.

In spite of the predictions of gloom on this thread, I haven't had any problems.  Was just looking for a better method.

Yes, it's a server problem that makes it difficult to delete folders sometimes.  I've inquired about that and been told I just need to log off and back on again (which is a workaround not a solution in my opinion).

Thanks, Phyllis

• 10. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)

Instead of packaging use the Links Panel. Select all the links and open the panel menu. Choose utilities>copy link(s) to and choose the folder you want all the links in. The links will be copied to that folder and all links will be updated in the document.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                              phyllisj9 Level 2

Hey, that's awesome!  That's pretty much partial packaging (which is what I need).  :-)  I'm still stuck packaging the fonts, but I guess I'll live with it.  That Utilities > Copy Links bit is a bit buried in my opinion.

Question:  I know that InDesign will do a temporary install of the fonts from a "Document fonts" folder (if I were to transfer these files to someone else for example).  If I'm manually adding fonts to the "Document fonts" folder, will another copy of InDesign load those fonts also?  Or is there something special about the packaging process that makes InDesign recognize/load them?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 12. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)

It's the name of the folder that kicks it in.

Bob

• 14. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

phyllisj9 wrote:

I work on a magazine where I'm often picking up ads from the previous issue.  Because some of them are precisely placed, it's easier to copy the frame and paste in place than do a new File>Place and then move it into the exact spot.  But of course that means I'm then linked to an ad in an older issue whereas I'd really like to have every piece of each issue contained in one folder for that issue.

Not at all. Linked assets are just that, links, so when you copy from one doc to another you are copying the original link location, not a link to a link to a link...

So, depending on how you are organized (I file ads and other assets by client so I don't need to keep multiple copies in multiple folders for multiple projects), there's no problem at all.

• 15. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                                    phyllisj9 Level 2

Hey thanks Peter

The advertisers I work with soemtimes change ads from one issue to the next and sometimes they do things like requesting we use the ad that was used in Spring of last year (for example).  So it's easier to have all the assets in one folder for every issue.  I do end up with some duplicates but it saves confusion.

I'm also supposed to burn each finished issue onto CD (and although I never seem to get around to it, it's easier to do if they're all packaged separately)....

Thanks, Phyllis

• 16. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                                      John Hawkinson Level 5
                                      I'm also supposed to burn each finished issue onto CD (and although I never seem to get around to it, it's easier to do if they're all packaged separately)....

I would tend to think you are best off waiting until you are ready to burn the CD, then packaging the layouts to the desktop, burning the package folder to the CD, and throwing away the package folder. That is, treat packaged folders as ephemeral tools for handing off files to others.

I can understand that this might make more work for you so perhaps it is a non-starter.

• 17. Re: Updating the Layout Package (esp fonts)
                                        phyllisj9 Level 2

By the time I get around to burning the CD I'm using a different version of InDesign.  :-)  And I can backtrack and figure out which version when packaging, but it's easier to just have the folder in the right shape to begin with.

I hate burning CDs and see no point in it (we have server backups anyway).  But that's neither here nor there....