16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 8:27 AM by phyllisj9

Plugin error with InCopy

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay I'm trying out an InCopy workflow for the first time ever.  I've studied InCopy and am testing how well my layouts work when I export the stories.

I'm getting a plugin error whenever I open the InDesign file using InCopy.  I'm getting a missing the Package and Preflight plugin error.  Both programs are CS 5.5.  I tried turning off Preflight, but I still get that error message.  I also saved the document as IDML and reopened it.  Same thing.  I'm worried that it'll confuse the editor (I'm testing back and forth in both programs to see if I can figure out what he'll have problems with -- ultimately he'll be the one using InCopy, not me).  Any idea what's causing that error message?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

All I can tell you is that as great as InCopy is, I don't advise anyone to try this without having someone with experience to help you get off the ground. There's just no way to tell you exactly what the problem is but if you'd like to discuss an hour or two of on line consulting please contact me off list through a private message.

Otherwise you're going to need to post far more details on what's going on here.

Bob

• 2. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Well, there's no one with experience here but me!  And this is my first experience with it.  I taught myself InDesign by asking questions in this forum and watching videos and reading (I've never worked directly with another InDesign user).  I'll pretty much have to do the same with this.  I've been through all the lynda.com tutorials, just getting occasional errors.

I made a mostly blank document (just with some master pages and exported 3 stories for InCopy) and packaged it.  I get exactly this error when I open the InDesign document in InCopy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PACKAGE AND PREFLIGHT.APLN

The document "documentnamehere" uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system. Do you want to open anyway?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The error doesn't seem to cause a problem, so I'll probably just ignore it. Was just wondering if anyone else had run into it before.  I know missing plugins are usually program versions.  Both programs are Version 7.5, and "Updates" is greyed out, so I believe them to be up to date.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 3. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
              phyllisj9 Level 2

I think I just guessed what the problem is.  I resaved an old document rather than loading all its master pages and styles into a brand-new document.  Or maybe it's the fact that the master pages and styles were created in a previous version of InDesign.

I'll try a brand-new document and load all the styles and all the master pages and see if that works better.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 4. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                phyllisj9 Level 2

I think I just guessed what the problem is.  I resaved an old document rather than loading all its master pages and styles into a brand-new document.  Or maybe it's the fact that the master pages and styles were created in a previous version of InDesign.

I'll try a brand-new document and load all the styles and all the master pages and see if that works better.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 5. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                  phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay I figured this one out.  This error shows up if you embed a custom preflight profile.  I tested it by creating a blank document that had only one text box (filled with placeholder text).  I packaged that and opened the InDesign file from InCopy.  No problems.  I then went back to the original InDesign file and turned on the custom preflight profile.  Now when I return to InCopy I get the above-mentioned error message.   It doesn't seem to cause a problem though.  The bug persists even after unembedding the profile.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 6. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Are you using 7.5.1 for both InCopy and InDesign?

• 7. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                      phyllisj9 Level 2

No, I have 7.5 for both.  And I thought that was up to date (?) since the "Updates" link is greyed out.

I'm actually not sure how to update when that link is greyed out.  But the I.T. department usually runs the updates so maybe there's something I don't know.  Is there another method?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 8. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Yup. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/:

Adobe InDesign CS5.5 7.5.1 update

June 16, 2011
                          Windows | Macintosh

Adobe InCopy CS5.5 7.5.1 update

June 16, 2011
                          Windows | Macintosh

• 9. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                          phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks!  I just put in a request to the I.T. department to install those updates.  I'll test the same issue again afterward and see if it is something that has changed.  But it looks like any time I use a custom preflight, that document gives an error message in InCopy.  But hey, it still opens....  :-)

Thanks, Phyllis

• 10. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                            phyllisj9 Level 2

FWIW, I can reproduce that error on any document.  As soon as I embed a preflight profile, it will give the "package and preflight" missing-plugins error when opened in InCopy.  I hope that the updates will fix this (will report back when I can get those).  But thought I'd mention that it's a reproducible error in case anyone else notices it.

Now I just have to wait for the updates.  Sigh......

Thanks, Phyllis

• 11. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm a bit skeptical that the 7.5.1 update is going to solve this. I really want to confirm both were the same version, since when you said 7.5 rather than 7.5.0, I wasn't sure exactly.

When you hold down Opt/Alt and go to About InDesign and look at the plugin details, what does it tell you about the missing plugins?

I assume you don't have any 3rd party plugins installed...

• 12. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                                phyllisj9 Level 2

Hey!  Both of them say 7.5  (there's no following zero).  The dialog box is the same whether I hold down the Alt key before opening it or not.  Where would I find the plugin details?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 13. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Run the 7.5.1 update before you do anything else.

Bob

• 14. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

phyllisj9 wrote:

The dialog box is the same whether I hold down the Alt key before opening it or not.

That would be Ctrl ky on Windows, Cmd key on Mac....

• 15. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                                      phyllisj9 Level 2

Well, that explains it!  I knew I'd seen this dialog before but couldn't remember where.
                                      I'm using CS 5.5 (7.5.0.142) on both InDesign and InCopy.

The "Package and Preflight" plugin is listed both as missing AND as being used in InCopy. The error message only kicks in once a custom preflight is embedded.

I'll report back once I can get the upgrades.  That may take a few days since I don't have admin rights (and have to wait on the I.T. dept.).

Thanks, Phyllis

• 16. Re: Plugin error with InCopy
                                        phyllisj9 Level 2

I got the patch!

And guess what? The error message is gone now.  That must have been a bug in 7.5.  :-)  I'm now using 7.5.1.304 (as is the editor).  Hopefully we won't need to upgrade for a bit.

Interestingly (in case anyone else has this issue), I could not natively extract the zip file in the upgrade.  Had to use a separate program called 7-Zip.  I'm just mentioning that in case someone else downloads the patch and tries to extract it through Windows.

Thanks, Phyllis