12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 8:54 AM by ECBowen

Question for PC enthusiasts

lasvideo Level 4

With Apple on shaky ground in the Pro circles and issues with new Mac Pros abounding, I have a question. What system would you suggest to an editor not interested in being a computer builder? Ive heard dispareging remarks about Dell , HP and a like. This theoretical system would be for video production and would not be tricked out like a race car (i.e., over clocking, coolers, etc). Any suggestions (like Boxx) that I can add my raid array to (Areca) and be up and running. Remember I am an editor NOT a build from scracth computer enthusiast. Each to their own. Thanks for your input.

• 1. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would start with ADK, and talk over your needs with them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I second Bill's recommendation.  Scott and crew really know what they're doing.

• 3. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
              lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Bill and Jim.

• 4. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I've had great luck with the HP line of workstations; used them in a previous life back when they were Compaq EVOs (Avid DS, nonetheless!) and my own HP xw6400 is still going strong. In fact, I just put a GTS 450 in my HP this week, and now it's got CUDA-accelerated goodness.

I had one problem with my HP--a memory module gone bad. Called HP's support, and they overnighted me a new module at no cost to me. That was about 1.5 years after I purchased it. That's not bad at all. I've had this system for over four years now, and it will be receiving a new lease on a life in an SD only documentary project.

Don't lump the HP desktops and workstations in the same category; they're definitely not cut from the same cloth.

• 5. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                  Eric Addison User Group Manager

Colin's quite right. I'm on my second HP workstation, and I'm very happy with HP. I had a xw8400 for 4 years that served me well, and I just upgraded to a Z800 this year and I'm so happy I got it. CS5, and now CS5.5, runs great - very, very fast!

If you buy an HP workstation class computer, the customer service is really, really good. Much better then if you buy the consumer grade stuff.

• 6. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                    Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Ask, Dell to build a T5500 Dell Precision Server Workstation with Intel XEON i7 Quad Core 64 bit to Adobe CS5 Specs and Raid 0 and add NVIDIA Quadro FX3800. It works for me. It has even improved the performance of older 32 bit applications including Premiere Pro and it is very fast indeed with Sony Vegas with their improved GPU accelerated set up on H.264 and AVCHD.I've had this for over 12 months and it is much faster than the old Dell Pentium 3.2Ghz with hyper-threading which may be an advantage in the XEON if you can afford it. See reviews on CS5.5 for more info.

Ps. I hate to say, this but my son is Apple Mac mad and uses all Adobe Publishing Software, and has been in the media business for 20 years, he uses iMovie instead of the Pro stuff with great effect, never runs into trouble , he fixes everything himself ? And uses H.264 mov nearly all the time.

good luck with the build.

• 7. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

If you buy an HP workstation class computer, the customer service is really, really good. Much better then if you buy the consumer grade stuff.

Absolutely. The desktop/consumer class stuff is basically from a completely different company.

PS: A lot of the PC-based Premiere Pro reviews are benched on Z-stations... I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Adobe uses internally for development and testing, as well.

• 8. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                        lasvideo Level 4

Thanks everyone. I had a nice chat with Eric at ADK about some other options as well . Its nice to talk to a computer guy that also knows the needs of editors. That kind of vendor support is worth its weight in gold. This is all just proactive research in case Apple drops the ball on its hardware line in the future. I have so much software and plugins that unless I can get a cross platform deal from vendors, replacing the software might cost as much as getting a new computer. 

• 9. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                          lasvideo Level 4

Colin -  "Don't lump the HP desktops and workstations in the same category; they're definitely not cut from the same cloth."

An article today makes it sound like HP wont be cut from any cloth if they have their way...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technology/hp_pc_spinoff/?iref=NS1

• 10. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Likely means HP is seeing the writing on the wall coming from Microsoft, Google, and Apple and are starting the transition early since their such a large company. Get ready for Cloud based OS options only coming to a PC near you in the next couple of years. Start bugging your local Linux programmers to get on the ball and start standardizing API's for partners to use especially graphical ones. Because Linux is where the last stand is going to take place if this trend continues. Cloud distribution has given OS designers complete control over their product minimizing piracy and generating consistent monthly revenue while keeping all of the cards in their hands.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                              lasvideo Level 4

Hello Again Eric. We spoke at length the other day about me investigating a possible transition to a PC after the New Year. Its cool that you monitor and participate in this forum.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

• 12. Re: Question for PC enthusiasts
                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Hello Tom and good to see you in the Adobe forums. This is a very valuable resource for everyone and good place to keep up with current hardware changes and performance results. Many here contribute greatly to the information base of the forum. I try to watch the forum as well as much as my daily activity allows although if you ask Scott, I am a slacker

Eric

ADK