6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 2:06 PM by WatersWard

How to view multi-select responses in individual columns

WatersWard

Hi,

I have a multi-select field on my form. Users can check none, one, or many responses. When viewing the resluts, the response are concatenated together by a semi-colon and displayed in one column. I need to be able to sort based on the specific responses. Other form engines put these types of multi-select responses into unique columns for sorting purposes. How do I do this in Adobe Forms?

Thanks,

Doug Ward

• 1. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns
          Anatole Matveief Adobe Employee

Doug,

if you either right click on the top of the column, or left click on the column's letter (A,B,C etc), you'll see options that allow you to sort by whichever choice you wish.

Hope this helps

Anatole

• 2. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns
            WatersWard Level 1

Anatole,

Thanks for the response, but perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly.

Let's say I have a muilti-select field with the following responses: Answer One, Answer Two, and Answer Three.

If someone selects all three responses, the results are concatenated together as "Answer One; Answer Two; Answer Three". When exported, these results end up in a single column. So, how do I figure out all of those people who checked Answer Two? I can't sort on that.

In other form engines (FormSite), each multi-select option is exported to a unique column (i.e., one column for Answer One, one column for Answer Two, etc.). If someone selected that response, that is indicated by an X. So, it is easy to determine who selected each respective response.

Is there anyway to accomplish this in Adobe Forms?

Thanks,

Doug Ward

• 3. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns

Doug,

Did you try the right click and leftclick on the column letter?  I'm pretty sure that addresses the issue.

Here are a couple of screen shots using a multiselect field with choices "AnswerOne AnswerTwo AnswerThree"

Here is what happens when you right click on the column heading:

FC-sort-multi-rightclick.jpg

Here is what happens when you left click on the column's letter (in this case B):

FC-sort-multi.jpg

You'll see that in both cases, you can sort first or last by any of the options in the multiselect field.  If you sort first by AnswerOne, all the responses that chose "AnswerOne" will show up first.  If you sort last by "AnswerOne" all of them will show up last.

Does this solve the issue you're describing?

Another option would to use the filtering functionality.  If you open up FormsCentral, go to the Help Menu, and click on FormsCentral Help, then click on "View Responses" and click on "Sort and Filter data", it will walk you through filtering data.  Here is the link

You can set up filters to show only the response that answer "AnswerOne" or any number of combinations ("AnswerOne" AND "AnswerThree", "AnswerTwo" OR "AnswerThree").

Hope one of these two methods helps

Anatole

• 4. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns
                WatersWard Level 1

Hi Anatole,

Thanks for your helpful and thourough response. Being able to sort by response is hepful when viewing online. However, that doesn't quite solve my problem. My client needs an export of the data as an Excel file every couple of days. They then take the data and import it into their database, etc. With all of the multi-select responses concatenated and exported to one column, it is hard to work with the data. If each response was exported to a unique column (indicated by an X or something), the data is very easy to work with.

I'm sure there are use cases where exporting the responses all to one column makes sense. For my particular use case, I just don't see a solution.

Thanks,

Doug

• 5. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns

Doug,

thank you for the feedback and for explaining your workflow. The team has been made aware of the issue and appreciates your feedback since it helps us make the product better and prioritize future enhancements.

Just to throw a potential work around you way; you should be able to do what you need in Excel.  It's not ideal but it might solve your problem in the interim.

You could create some extra columns after the multiselect field's column and write something to figure out the answers.  For example, if the multiselect field is in Column B, you might insert 3 columns (C,D, and E), and have these expressions in each:

Column C:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("AnswerOne", B2)),"X", "" )

Column D:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("AnswerTwo", B2)),"X", "" )

Column E:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("AnswerThree", B2)),"X", "" )

I'm not an Excel expert by any measure, but these expressions should show an X in Columns C,D, and E if the value in Column B has "AnswerOne", "AnswerTwo" and "AnswerThree" respectively...  The disadvantage of course if that you'd have to create these columns after every export, and being that they are calculated columns I'm not sure how they would be exported to a database.

Thanks once again for your feedback,

Anatole

• 6. Re: How to view multi-select responses in individual columns
                    WatersWard Level 1

Anatole,

Clearly, you are a genius. Fantastic solution. Works perfectly.

Thank you!

Doug Ward