12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 10:26 AM by Jim_Simon

Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence

JAKE JONSON Level 1

Let's say I've just made a change to a clip in the sequence (an effect or whatever) and I want to confine my export to just that area.  When I say 'clip' its not a clip I have in my project window - its a clip I've created from cuts in the sequence.  So, sure, I can woefully scroll horizontally both ways until I've set the work area bar to the start and finish of my clip but what I really want to do is to be able to find a quick shortcut that would do exactly that - so that i can export just that clip.  I feel that this should be a frequent and therefore stunningly simple thing to do in PPro but, uh... no. And, of course I'm not finding a way to confine the export to just the clip from within the Media Encoder...

I can right-click on the Work Area Bar and Mark Clip but what does a marked clip do for me?  I'm sure not seeing a way to export from there.  All I get from it is a selected (shaded) area on the time markings at the top and right-clicking there is the same right-click menu I get from within the work area bar.

Frankly, usability weaknesses like this is what has held back PPro in the past (IMO) and the big features are nice but Apple has always had a better intuition on making their software usable.  Anyways, didn't want to rant.

So, am I missing a quick way to do this export?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Go to Keyboard Shortcuts. Find the keys for or customize Set Work Area Bar In and Set Work Area Bar Out. Use them. Export using Work Area.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
            JAKE JONSON Level 1

Yeah, the alt-[ and alt-] (windows) helps but I would prefer to have some more automation or shortcuts around the work area bar or else some more options in the AME.  I know.. I know.. make a feature request.

• 4. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
              BVX3001 Level 1

I'm on Windows, and maybe not following you, but do you know that once you've set your work area in & out, a Control + M combo will start the Export process?  I don't know how it could be much more streamlined than 3 keyboard shortcuts.  The Export Settings panel then also has the yellow timeline indicator in the lower left corner that lets you drag the tiny white triangles to adjust the in & out points again if you need to. Then either choose "Queue" to send the task to AME or "Export" to do it immediately in Premiere.

Also, if you work on your "clip" segment in its own separate sequence, you won't need to bother with work area in & out points as the export can be of that entire sequence.

• 5. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                JAKE JONSON Level 1

I'm on Windows, too.  What I'd like to be able to do is to do the 'Mark Clip' step from the right-click in the Work Area Bar and then choose a non-existent 'Selection in Sequence' in the Ctrl+M drop-down in the lower left.  This would be shorter than your steps because I avoid repositoning the Playhead (CTI) in between.

• 6. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  When I say 'clip' its not a clip I have in my project window - its a clip I've created from cuts in the sequence.

'Clip' means a specific thing. What you have is a sequence made of several clips, and you want to export a portion of that sequence.  Calling that 'portion' a clip would be incorrect and might confuse the issue.  'Segment' might be the better word here.

I feel that this should be a frequent and therefore stunningly simple thing to do in PPro

I don't have a need for this myself.  I'm curious what you're doing with the exported segments, why you feel it's so important to your work flow.

• 7. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                    JAKE JONSON Level 1

I agree that 'segments' would be a good word for these cut parts of my imported clips that I have on the sequence timeline.  I think Avid uses that terminology.  My point is that since effects (Fast Color Corrector, for example) can only applied on a per-segment basis, why shouldn't exporting be permitted on a selection of these segments (one or more of segments).  Exporting is such that we want to do so to the limited extent necessary, right?

My workflow for color correction is often to first cut imported clips into scenes based on the lighting type (color temp), then apply the FCC effect to these cut segments.  I realize keyframing would be an alternative, but I don't think that subclips would be a work-around here since they don't retain effects when they go back in the Project Window as subclips.

So, what I was doing was trying different FCC settings on the same segment and wanted to limit my export to this segment.  Yes, I can use the Work Area Bar and all is fine, its just that why can I use 'Mark Clip' very conveniently in the timeline and then not use it for export purposes.  That would be the perfect answer to my request.  Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what 'Mark Clip' is supposed to lead to next, but I guess that's another topic.

I've just found that zooming in on the timeline just to where my segment(s) cover almost all the area and then double-clicking on the WAB will cause the WAB to span just this area (not the whole sequence  - as the shortcut page would suggest - but just the zoomed-in section) and cuts down on the horizontal mousing around when positioning the WAB on the boundaries of the segment.  So, that's a helpful feature.  And, of course, the ALT+[ and ] shortcuts are helpful as already stated.

Absent the scripting and expressions that After Effects has, PPro needs to make use of all the timesaving shortcuts it can, IMHO.

• 8. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      effects (Fast Color Corrector, for example) can only applied on a per-segment basis

Actually, most effects can only be applied to individual clips in Premiere Pro, not a whole segment of a sequence - i.e., if your sequence has 10 clips in all, and you want to CC 4 of them, you'd need to apply the effect four times, once per clip.

And I'm still curious, what are the exports for?

• 9. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                        JAKE JONSON Level 1

If I remember right, I'm able to select multiple segments and apply the FCC effect on them, i.e., I'm not limited to a single segment when applying FCC.

The purpose in exporting was to show different color treatments to a particular segment to the client.  So, I had several different treatments and wanted to illustrate them in this particular clip segment.

• 10. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Yes, you can Copy/Paste to many clips at the same time, but you are still adding that effect(s) to each individual clip.  It's not like an Adjustment Layer in After Effects, with just one effect instance.  If you change any instance of that effect on one clip, you will then have to change it for all the others.

Now that I understand the purpose here, the best way to go about this might be to Copy/Paste the clips in question to a new sequence.  (Or nest the original in to a new sequence, and trim it to include only the desired clips.)  This limits your export to the desired range, and using the second method, actually does allow one effect instance.

• 11. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                            JAKE JONSON Level 1

I had been thinking of that option, too, and I'd have to say that the Nest Sequence option is the 'correct answer'.  I'd still like the added functionality I spoke of, but its hard to complain.

• 12. Re: Export just the clip that I'm on in the sequence
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Nah, complaining is easy.  Adobe even gives you a place to do it.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform