2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 12:46 AM by BKBK

SOLR RuntimeException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or ...

lchalnick Level 1

I'm setting up 64-bit CF with SOLR on a client's Windows Server 2008 64-bit box.

Installation was not an issue. Was able to produce a SOLR index a number of times since the install. But the nightly rebuilds of the index began failing at after about a week. I've tried rebuilding a number of times at this point via the CF Admin but with no success. What I note is that attempting to recreate the collection results in the sub-directory I've named (HRindex) being created and nothing else.

Looking in the SOLR stderr log file I find this error each time I've tried re-creating this collection:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or 'X:\SOLRcollections\HRindex/conf/', cwd=C:\ColdFusionSolr

I've found references to this problem elsewhere on the net indicating that this may result from a permissions problem with this directory (HRindex) or with the file solrconfig.xml inside that directory...but a) I've subsequently given full control to all users; b) the file solrconfig.xml is not being created at all. On most attempts, no subdirectories are created below X:\SOLRcollections\HRindex\ .

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Also worth noting. Not long after this problem began, I decided to uninstall SOLR and tried reinstalling it. So most of the original versions of solr.xml are gone.

Here is a copy of the file solr.xml that was under the original install in c:\coldfusion9\solr\multicore

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><solr persistent='true'> <cores adminPath='/admin/cores'>
        <core name='core0' instanceDir='core0/'/>
        <core name='HRindex' instanceDir='X:/SOLRcollections/HRindex/HRindex/'
      dataDir='X:/SOLRcollections/HRindex/HRindex/data/'/>
      </cores>
      </solr>

When I reinstalled SOLR from the CF9 dvd, I instaled it in a different directory. But there are NO copies of solr.xml file under the new installation.

Not knowing how SOLR works under the covers, where should this file be found? When does SOLR build it?

• 1. Re: SOLR RuntimeException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or ...
          XIntelligence

When you create a new Solr Collection files like schema.xml & solrconfig.xml are copied from X:\ColdFusion9\solr\multicore\template\conf

If for some reason these files are locked / access restricted or corrupt the collection would not work.

You can manually copy X:\ColdFusion9\solr\multicore\template\conf to X:\SOLRcollections\HRindex/conf/ and restart the CF search service though.

• 2. Re: SOLR RuntimeException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or ...
            BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

XIntelligence wrote:

When you create a new Solr Collection files like schema.xml & solrconfig.xml are copied from X:\ColdFusion9\solr\multicore\template\conf

If for some reason these files are locked / access restricted or corrupt the collection would not work.

You can manually copy X:\ColdFusion9\solr\multicore\template\conf to X:\SOLRcollections\HRindex/conf/ and restart the CF search service though.

If that is the case, you first have to manually create the directory conf in X:\SOLRcollections\HRindex\. Then copy the XML files into that directory. However, note the repetition '/HRindex/HRindex/' in your settings in solr.xml. It looks like a mistake.