15 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 5:41 PM by HarleyTDavis

Keyboard Macros?

ExactImage Level 3

I know this can be done with external devices, but is there any way to program key sequences / macros within Premiere?

The sort of thing I'm looking to do is to close the current clip in the source monitor, select the next clip in the project browser and open it in the source monitor.  I know it's not that many clicks or keys but when you have to do this several hundred times a day scanning clips it's a pain and a macro would really save time. 

If it's not possible I guess I'll buy a mouse or external keypad that I can add this to, but it's more clutter on the desk....

• 1. Re: Keyboard Macros?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no need to close what's in the Source Monitor first.  One double click on the next clip is all it takes.

Depending on your footage, you can also use Bridge for this type of fast review.

• 2. Re: Keyboard Macros?
            ExactImage Level 3

Other than it keeping several hundred clips open and sucking up all the ram

• 3. Re: Keyboard Macros?
              ExactImage Level 3

Bridge is not ideal for this.  I'm thinking about finding a quick in/out, adding to the sequence, closing, next clip & repeat - skipping the in/out/add when I don't want anything from the clip....

• 4. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

So after every 50 or so, do a Close All.

• 5. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                  ExactImage Level 3

Thanks for your input Jim. 

Having suffered from Carpal Tunnel in the past I'm trying to keep mouse clicks to a minimum, and reducing the number of clicks (even a double click on each clip), especially when it has to be repeated several hundred times a day is well worthwhile.    If you've never had CTS then maybe it's no big deal to you, and I truly hope you never get it. 

It's also a time saver, one click or key to replace three or four clicks is always better than doing things the long way and the more I can streamline things the easier it goes.

I guess your answer boils down to you don't feel it's worth it or needed.   We'll have to disagree on that one

• 6. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Mac, right? I found this which looks promising: Keyboard Maestro 5.0.1: Work Faster with Macros for Mac OS X. Since there is no way to set up such combos within Premiere Pro, this might be a viable alternative.

I'm working on some similar shortcuts using a macro app for Windows called AutoHotKey. I'd be interested in hearing if the above works for you, should you happen to try it.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                      ExactImage Level 3

Thanks Colin.  It took a little bit of figuring out but it works

• 8. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool! Glad to hear that. Does that app let you create executable files (or whatever the heck they're called on a Mac) from your macros? AutoHotKey will do that, so that you can create a cool little customized, self-contained application with your shortcuts and combos.

• 9. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I guess your answer boils down to you don't feel it's worth it or needed.

Not at all.  Just pointing out alternatives until what you want arrives.

• 10. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                            Jon Chappell Level 3

There's no need to use a third-party app. The Automator app that ships with OS X can do this already.

1. Launch Automator and select Workflow from the Template window that appears.

2. Cick the Record button in the toolbar and perform whatever action you want to automate.

3. Go to File > Save As and select Application under File Format.

• 11. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                              Terry_Green Level 1

Macros do not work in CS5.5 written in Contour Shuttle Pro v.2 (Win 7)...

And severely limits the possibility that one can not simply choose the clip with the keyboard.

• 12. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                                PmPhotographic Level 2

I use a Contour Shuttle Pro.  This has keys which can be programmed and also have macros assigned.  May be worth having a look

• 13. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                                  Terry_Green Level 1

macros does not work:

Next in Track (Shift+G)

Pause 100ms

I, Page Down, O, Extract (')...

• 14. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                                    PmPhotographic Level 2

I use CS5, so can't comment on CS5.5

• 15. Re: Keyboard Macros?
                                      HarleyTDavis Level 2

Has anybody ever thought of using automator?  There's a record feature.  You record in automator, select the panel, do a close all, stop recording.  Save the workflow, set it to a key press.  Boom.  Macro.  I've been contemplating creating a set of actions for moving around the interface by using this method.  It should record the applescript functions so I can later look at the code, and make a few simple adjustments.  I'm busy with work right now, so I'll have to get to it when I'm not.  Maybe after my current projects I'll take a break and spend some time on it.  I'd like to get a list of the ui elements that would be needed most.  Already I've got:

Timecode indicators

close panels, open panels, select panels  -- may have an applescript requirement of checking open\closed status

accessing mixer -- mixer track selection -- mixer values (panning, volume out, send)

Program monitor --timecode, close all

Multicam program monitor-- timecode, close all

Source monitor--timecode

This would give you a way to instantly access several elements for typing values into them.  The more you can keep your hand off the mouse, the less time you spend actually trying to position it, and saving even a few seconds at a time adds up quickly.