5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 1:01 PM by Lon Winters

Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3

lorrienn

I am trying to build a VERY basic website in Dreamweaver. Using their single fixed column, centered,template, i would like to ad 2 flash items, a menu and small movie, in to he top of the column. (Both flash items are larger than the column with, if that matters,i was going to resizxe them  nce  i  got  this part of the  cose  correct)

For some reason the flash movie shows in my Dreamweaver preview, but not when i load it live online  @ www.srg-buffalo.com.

The address i have used for the flash movie is: http://www.srg-buffalo.com/flash/header_v8.swf

The website is hosted at www.swq-buffalo.com, if you want to check out the source code.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, i thought it was pretty simple, there is no flash block via my go daddy host.

How i  inserted it  via dreamweaver  cs3:

Insert> Media> Flash.

URL= http://www.srg-buffalo.com/flash/header_v8.swf

What am  i doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3
          Lon Winters Level 4

How did you end up with an absolute path to the Flash file? Is that the way it is in your source code, or did you just enter that in for viewing access? Using the insert method you described, DW will enter a relative path to the movie along with the embed and object tags, and a reference to external JavaScript. Make sure to upload these JS files in the Scripts folder or the movies won't play.

• 2. Re: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3
            lorrienn Level 1

Thats jsut a  littleover my head.

I entered  the  URL  as I wrote it, complete,  in the URL box,becasue thats the  only way  i know?

wouldit  be better  to simply type: flash/header_v8.swf     ?

JS files?  i know  i havent  uploaded  them.

do they go  in  the  flash  directory?   Let me see if i  can find them.

• 3. Re: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3
              Lon Winters Level 4

When you insert the SWF, you shouldn't have to actual type anything - it's a browse and select process and will automatically enter the correct path to the SWF. Then you have to upload the page and the SWF file. This next part I think has changed in later versions of DW, but in CS3 I'm pretty sure the process will also create a folder named Scripts. This folder along with it's contents also need to be uploaded.

• 4. Re: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3
                lorrienn Level 1

Thank you,

That rung a  bell.

I uploaded  both  saved .SWF documents to  the Scripts directory.

There was also  a  Scripts dirrectory saved  with index.html,  in this directory was the  AC_RunActiveContent.js  file,any thoughts on that?

i  uploaded it to  scripts,along witht he  others, and the space  dedicatd to the flash events is there, but they are not  showing.

http://www.srg-buffalo.com/

D. Jude Bulera

Buffalo, NY

DJBulera@hotmail.com

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:45:32 -0600

To: djbulera@hotmail.com

Subject: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3

When you insert the SWF, you shouldn't have to actual type anything - it's a browse and select process and will automatically enter the correct path to the SWF. Then you have to upload the page and the SWF file. This next part I think has changed in later versions of DW, but in CS3 I'm pretty sure the process will also create a folder named Scripts. This folder along with it's contents also need to be uploaded.

>

• 5. Re: Inserting FLASH into Dreamweaver cs3
                  Lon Winters Level 4

You're getting, but it sounds like you're moving the locations of certain files when you upload them. The files on the remote server should all be in the same locations as they are on your local site folder. I don't know why there is an index.HTML file in the scripts folder, but it shouldn't be there. Is it just a duplicate of the homepage, which in the index.HTML file in the root?  A typical structure, if you're adding the SWF to the homepage is to have the index file in the root where it belongs, a folder to hold the SWF files, and the Scripts folder. For this example, name the folder that holds the flash fils SWF. Open the homepage, insert the SWF through the insert dialog by browse and select and save the page.  Upload the page, the SWF folder with it's contents and the scrips folder with the ACRunactivecontent making sure they are all in the same location on the remote server. The page looks for the files in a certain place, and if you move them to a different folder on the remote server, the page can't find them, and it won't play.