8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 6:26 AM by MurraySummers

Garbage in Design view

mj1975

hello

I would appreaciate if someone could help me with this. My dreamweaver design view shows garbage when i open some files and not every file. The code view of the same garbage looks all legit and english. I tried re-installing dreamweaver (I use CS 5.5) but to no avail

Any help is high appreciated.

regards,

dw-cs5.5.png

• 1. Re: Garbage in Design view
          MurraySummers Level 8

Paste the top 10 lines of code (from the head region) on the page into a reply here, please.

Message was edited by: Murray *ACP*

• 2. Re: Garbage in Design view
            mj1975 Level 1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">

<head>

<title></title>

<link href="/StyleSheets/ModuleStyleSheets.css" type="text/css" rel="StyleSheet" />

<link type="text/css" media="screen,projection" href="/StyleSheets/base.css" rel="stylesheet" />

<link type="text/css" media="screen,projection" href="/StyleSheets/screen.css" rel="stylesheet" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/CatalystStyles/Box.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

<meta content="text/html;charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

</head>

<body>

<form style="display: inline;">  <table class="form" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">   <tr>    <td>     <p>You are buying a gift voucher. Please enter the recipients details below.</p>    </td>   </tr>   <tr>    <td>     <label for="RecipientName">Recipient Name</label><br />     <input class="cat_textbox" id="RecipientName" name="RecipientName">    </td>   </tr>   <tr>    <td>      <label for="RecipientEmail">Recipient Email Address</label><br />     <input class="cat_textbox" id="RecipientEmail" name="RecipientEmail">    </td>   </tr>   <tr>    <td>     <label for="Message">Personal Message to Recipient</label><br />     <textarea class="cat_listbox" id="Message" name="Message" rows="5" cols="20"></textarea>    </td>   </tr>   <tr>    <td>     {tag_continue}    </td>   </tr>  </table>  </form> 

</body>

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Garbage in Design view
              mj1975 Level 1

Just noticed that, its not just in CS5.5. I have the previous CS4 dreamweaver not yet uninstalled and loaded up the page in that. Same issue. Some part of the texts are garbage, like form labels, and some shows legit. I just upgraded my video card drivers as well and that didnt solve. What could be the other reasons? corrupted system wide fonts? (but then all other applications are perfectly fnie)

Any help is appreciated.

• 4. Re: Garbage in Design view
                mj1975 Level 1

Here is the screenshot of the display for the above pasted code.

form-display.png

• 5. Re: Garbage in Design view
                  MurraySummers Level 8

How bizarre.  Is this running on an English language operating system?

• 6. Re: Garbage in Design view
                    mj1975 Level 1

Yes. Windows 7 - 64Bit. But I would like to let you know that this is Adobe CS 5.5 ME version which supports Arabic as well.

• 7. Re: Garbage in Design view
                      mj1975 Level 1

Okay. Found a solution. But its still bizzare how it happened.

I went to Edit -> Preferences - > font - changed the proportional font to Arial from Times new Roman. viola, all the text in teh design view is now legit. I still have Times New Roman installed so, honestly, I have no idea why it appened. "Use dynamic font mapping" is ticked underneath the dialogue box. Dont know what is the purpose of it.

I noticed my main Heading inthe display view was still showing garbage. Checked the font CSS for that particular element and it is in Helvetica, Arial, sans serif order. I remember i made those pages in a Mac. But if the system cannot find Helvetica installed, shouldnt it switch to Arial automatically? I edited teh CSS file manually and change the order of the font, and then it displayed correctly.

any explanations?

• 8. Re: Garbage in Design view
                        MurraySummers Level 8

Checked the font CSS for that particular element and it is in Helvetica, Arial, sans serif order. I remember i made those pages in a Mac. But if the system cannot find Helvetica installed, shouldnt it switch to Arial automatically?

Yes it should switch automatically.  Perhaps it's finding a font that it believes is "Helvetica"?