6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 5:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file

NJDave

Adobe 9 on XP.  90 minute video.  Tried to "share" via email, but it wouldn't send properly (after two, 3 hour uploads).  So I saved it in a file on my PC (another 3 hour ordeal) , an FLV file (1,198,045 KB).

When I tried to open the FLV file, a previously installed video conversion utility trial version had expired, so I am unable to play without upgrading to the paid version.  Do I have to convert the file?  Doesn't Adobe Element 9 convert it before saving it?  Are ther any recommended free versions of a file transfer utility?

Will I, and others, ever be able to watch this damn video?

• 1. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For one thing, you'll never be able to make an e-mailable ninety minute video file. In fact, a video that long would not likely play on most web sites.

As I say in my books, an e-mailable file would have to be under a minute to work at all and very low resolution. Beyond that, you'd be better off posting the video to a web site and e-mailing a link to it.

And, yes, you will need a Flash player to play an FLV file. Many web sites (like YouTube) have a Flash player built right into the web site.

But, if you want to play an FLV file on your computer, you'll need a standalone Flash player like this one:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Since you're new with this program, I'd very much recommend you start with a much shorter video project. At least until you make sure all of your systems work.

• 2. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file
            NJDave Level 1

Thanks.

I installed the recommended reader, but the file will not open or play.

Message was edited by: NJDave

• 3. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file

Did you download the Reader or the Flash Player? You need to download Flash Player 10.3.

Have you tried creating a shorter project as an experiment?

• 4. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve is working on the FLV aspect, but I'd like to add that if you need to share large AV files, you might want to look into a service, like YouSendIt. It is a subscription service, and I use it for sharing large files with clients and others. One would subscribe, then upload the file (different subscriptions have different file size limits, but I think that my limit is 4 TB) to their server. You pick certain aspects, like password protection, number of downloads, time that the file is available, and then the recipients. They will get an e-mail, with a link to that file on the YouSendIt server, and can download it. Their server is quite fast, but much will depend on the recipients' connection speed.

There are other such services, but in my research, YouSendIt does such a good job, that I stopped searching.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file
                  NJDave Level 1

I tried to upload my video to the url provided by Adobe.  After 4 hours it stopped, and said

the file was too big.  The basic account permits 2GB of storeage and 24 minutes of video.  The PLus account

offers 20GB of storage, and up to 4 hours of video.  Could my 90 minute, 3.4 GB video be uploadedif I upgraded to Plus?

• 6. Re: Help.  edited video saved on PC, can't play the file

Probably not.You'll have the additional online space (20 gigs) -- but it's still a ridiculously large file to post online.

For optimal streaming, you should limit your video's length to about 10-15 minutes.

However, if you do buy the Plus membership, you can try posting a WebDVD. Structured like a DVD, a WebDVD plays as if it were one large video, although it is actually made up of smaller videos.

Yet, even there, 90 minutes is probably an excessive length. Most videomakers recommend the you keep your DVDs under 45 minutes and any online viewing under 20. Who's got an hour and a half to stare at a computer?