5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 4:20 AM by rob day

Does fitting images re-size them down also?

drwho57

Hi, just wondering when placing images into your layout and using the 'fit images proportionately' option, does InDesign also resize the image at the same time or do you still have to resize/resample manually via photoshop? Appreciate a reply, thanks!  

• 1. Re: Does fitting images re-size them down also?
          Grant H Level 4

ID wont change the pixels no. It will nondestructively resize the image to printed size. PPI will increase and decrease depending on the "resize".

G

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does fitting images re-size them down also?
            drwho57 Level 1

Hi, thanks......I figured as much, guess I was hoping that I didn't have to manually resize (alot of additional work in a big catalog). Maybe one day InDesign will take care of that too! Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: Does fitting images re-size them down also?
              Grant H Level 4

if you exporting to PDF you can downsample then. Depending on the job and requirements.  G

• 4. Re: Does fitting images re-size them down also?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Err.

I'm not sure if you got the answer to the question you asked, but either way, as I read this, it looks very confusing. Let me try to clarify.

Under normal circumstances, you should never need to "resize/resample manually via Photoshop."

(A special circumstance, for instance, is up-sampling. InDesign will never do that. So, if, for instance, you have a 72dpi image that you will be printing at 1200dpi and linescreened at 120lpi...well, first you should give up and not bother, because it will look like crap. But if you get past that and have to use it anyhow, then yes, resampling up to 200dpi (or even 1200dpi, but that's unnecessary) in Photoshop will help).

So, if you have an original image of 100dpi at 1"x1", and you place it in InDesign in a 1/2"x1/2" box, proportionately, it will have an effective PPI of 200 (up from 100). When you export to PDF in InDesign, it will be a 200dpi image. Depending on your PDF export settings, it may be indeed be downsampled, but generally speaking that downsampling is appropriate, if you are using Press or High Quality Print.

(When I say "appropriate," I mean there is really no point in changing away from defaults like "Color Images: Bicubic Downsampling to 300 pixels per inch for images above 450 pixels per inch." Even if you're printing at 1200dpi, it's the linescreen that matters here, for color images).

When Grant said:

ID wont change the pixels no. It will nondestructively resize the image to printed size. PPI will increase and decrease depending on the "resize".

I don't see a reading of this that is strictly correct. InDesign will certainly interpolate to make 2 pixels from 3, or whatever is necessary to fit the pixels to the space constrained.

I figured as much, guess I was hoping that I didn't have to manually resize (alot of additional work in a big catalog). Maybe one day InDesign will take care of that too!

Perhaps you should provide a bit more detail on exactly what you are trying to do, with screenshots. But InDesign should indeed be taking care of just about everything in this space.

• 5. Re: Does fitting images re-size them down also?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I don't see a reading of this that is strictly correct. InDesign will certainly interpolate to make 2 pixels from 3, or whatever is necessary to fit the pixels to the space constrained.

In an ID layout all images are resized—image pixels are resized not removed. The only option for resampling (removing pixels via interpolation) is on export where you can choose to downsample—or not.