6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 11:26 AM by markerline

Windows missing

Behnen Chris

I just yesterday downloaded the trial version of Adobe Productions Premium CS 5.5. i was editing in premier with a second external monitor. today i unpluged the monitor to edit on the road. however, now i cannot see any of my windows just one gray bar along the top. when i go to the windows tab and add other windows like "titles" i can see those. it seams like premiere thinks that there is still a monitor plugged in. i have restarted the computer several times and tried opeaning a new project as well. i have also tried reseting the workspaces. still no luck. any thoughts on resetting the workspases or the program itself??

• 1. Re: Windows missing
          markerline Level 4

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) a desktop windowing manager application (do a web search for one) with the option to send an entire application to one monitor or the other or send orphaned windows to one monitor or another

2) have you tried maximizing the application with any effect?  and 2.5) if you're on Windows you can right-click the taskbar icon for the application and select Move and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the application into place on the primary monitor and then resize it to fit only that monitor.

Not sure if any of this will work but it's a guess that's worth trying out.

Best,

markerline

• 2. Re: Windows missing
            Behnen Chris Level 1

i am using this on mac.

both of those solutions did not work

• 3. Re: Windows missing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I would also try resetting the Workspace, by choosing the Default Workspace, or choosing one of the preset Workspaces.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Windows missing
                Behnen Chris Level 1

yes i had tried that to no avail. i figured it out now though. if i hit the plus button on the toolbar it all came back

• 5. Re: Windows missing
                  markerline Level 4

Chris, hi.

Clicking the Plus button on the application window in Mac world is the same as maximizing the application in Microsoft Windows.  So I guess my suggestion works indeed.  But that's irrelevant... the important thing is you got your workspace back so you can create.... 

• 6. Re: Windows missing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I was afraid that would not get you what you needed.

I have seen similar (but with some exceptions, that might be meaningful, or not), where in the dual-monitor setup, a necessary window/dialog screen had been moved to the now missing second monitor. As the user could not click, where required, the program basically stopped, while waiting for user input, that did not come.

The "fix" was to hook up a second monitor, and then drag any/all dialog boxes back to monitor 1. After that, they had full functionality, and the temp monitor 2 could be safely removed. If you can access a second monitor, just for a few minutes, that might work, if there is an unseen dialog box out there.

Good luck,

Hunt