4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 7:32 AM by smackitsakic258

Enter vs. Shift>Enter

smackitsakic258

Simple question here (I think) that i'm hoping somebody can help me with.

How do I know how hitting 'enter' vs hitting 'shift>enter' is going to react in InDesign?  Sometimes 'enter' gives me a new paragraph, and sometimes it bumps me right out of the text box.  Other times 'shift>enter' reacts in the same manner.

I realize this is probably an ultra-simple solution, I just can't seem to determine when 'enter' will give me a new paragraph and when 'shift>enter' will give me a new paragraph.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Enter vs. Shift>Enter
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's "Enter" and "Return".

I suspect you're using a Keyboard without a Number Pad.

Where "Enter" inserts a frame break. And "Return" inserts a carriage return.

There must be some FN key or Num Lock key that shifts the difference between how the keyboard handles "Enter" and "Return".

• 2. Re: Enter vs. Shift>Enter
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Depends which enter key you hit. The one on the number pad is used for various break shortcuts (other than paragraph and line breaks, i.e. what you expect with Enter or Shift + Enter). There are some laptops, and the very rare desktop, where the two keys are mapped together, and the state of the numlock controls the behavior. For those situations it's usually prudent to edit the keyboard shortcust to make bot act the same.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Enter vs. Shift>Enter
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              How do I know how hitting 'enter' vs hitting 'shift>enter' is going to react in InDesign?  Sometimes 'enter' gives me a new paragraph, and sometimes it bumps me right out of the text box.  Other times 'shift>enter' reacts in the same manner.

I realize this is probably an ultra-simple solution, I just can't seem to determine when 'enter' will give me a new paragraph and when 'shift>enter' will give me a new paragraph.  Thanks.

I have a hunch that both replies overlooked a part of your question. Mind you, they're both completely right. However, I suspect that you were actually asking about this:

1.png

If you have a paragraph space of zero, enter and shift-enter will look exactly the same onscreen. However, if you have paragraph-space-before or paragraph-space-after defined, then...

2.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Enter vs. Shift>Enter
                smackitsakic258 Level 1

Great, thanks everyone!  Appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me!!