3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 4:09 PM by lou4uandme

Load ram previews ?

lou4uandme Level 1

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered, but I can't seem to find the correct answer

Is there a way to save your ram previews, so when I start up the same project the next day, I don't have to wait 20 minutes for the same ram preview?

I saw a SAVE RAM PREVIEW option, but I can't figure out how to make it load into the project.

I tried taking the "SAVED RAM PREVIEW" clip and  added it to the timeline, but I had to RAM PREVIEW IT to watch it!!

Thanks,

Lou

• 1. Re: Load ram previews ?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is there a way to save your ram previews, so when I start up the same project the next day, I don't have to wait 20 minutes for the same ram preview?

No.

The command for saving a RAM preview is not meant to preserve the RAM cache; it's meant to create an output movie that matches your RAM preview.

• 2. Re: Load ram previews ?
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Sounds like you are using RAM Preview in an unusual way. It was originally meant to build and preview short sequences in real time. But with the advent of 64-bit apps and gobs of RAM in computers today, it's easy to use it in ways it wasn't intended.

If you are building out your entire animation with RAM Preview (which sounds like you are if it's taking 20 minutes) — you should really Make Movie instead. You'll have a rendered out Quicktime you can edit and preview any time you want.

• 3. Re: Load ram previews ?
              lou4uandme Level 1

Thanks for the replies,

Well actually, the reason I asked is that I wasn't sure the reason for the "save ram" option.

To have the ability to open a project & have the SAVE RAM load up as the project loads, would be a very nice feature.Only in situations where it is needed.

For example, when you have worked all day on a project and ram previewed the Grain removal plugin,  rotobrush tool, etc. and then reopen the project the next morning and continue working. It would be nice to save that 10 minute ram wait.

I know there are plenty of work arounds to solve that issue but again, that's what I thought the SAVE RAM was all about.

Thanks for the info