6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 10:19 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Time Warp error with CS4

EarlMadness

Simply, everytime I add the Timewarp effect to my clip, it loses the last 3-4 seconds of footage.  It still registers just 11 seconds for the clip but the ending disappears, like it automatically got stretched.  Beyond that editing the clip appears fine.  I apply the slow-mo effect I want.  Its an unchanged movie file straight from my 60D.  Is there a conversion I should perform first?  Or is it just something stupid I missed?

• 1. Re: Time Warp error with CS4
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Time warp changes the speed of a clip. The default setting is 50 or half speed. That means that the clip will take twice as long to play. IOW, 2 seconds of action take 4 seconds to play back. There are two ways you can extend the length of the clip. The first is to pre-compose and then apply Tikme Warp. Just make sure that the composition is long enough to handle the extra time before you pre-compose the layer.

The second is to apply time warp and also apply Time Remapping. You can then extend the length of the clip by simply clicking and dragging. Either will work.

• 2. Re: Time Warp error with CS4
            EarlMadness Level 1

My seond question would be then how would I extend the workspace so that when it extends the clip It doesn't cut the ending off?  I know that sounds like another dumb question, but from what your saying that's what it sounds like is happeneing, that it's hitting the edge and getting cut off.  I feel like that should be pretty easy, but can't figure it out.

• 3. Re: Time Warp error with CS4

When you say workspace I think you mean Composition. You change the length of a composition by opening the composition settings. They are under Composition>Composition settings.

If you mean extending a layer, then you just click on the end of the layer and drag or you move the CTI (current time indicator) to the new desired out point and press the Ctrl or Command key and then the ].

You can't extend the length of a movie clip unless you apply Layer>Time>Time Remapping

Hope this helps. You should probably go through the getting started with AE resources that are all over the web....

• 4. Re: Time Warp error with CS4
                EarlMadness Level 1

Agreed, was trying to get the basics of 1000fps slow-mo from 60fps with Time Warp down as I had planned to film some small sections of it soon. Going to try and find a all-around basic starting tutorial this weekend.

• 5. Re: Time Warp error with CS4

EarlMadness wrote:

Agreed, was trying to get the basics of 1000fps slow-mo from 60fps with Time Warp down as I had planned to film some small sections of it soon. Going to try and find a all-around basic starting tutorial this weekend.

That's not going to work very well. Think about it. You're asking software to analyze the movement of the pixels on a frame and create about 16 frames of smooth motion from every 2 frames of real motion. One second becomes about 16 seconds.

If a thrown ball moves 200 pixels between two frames then you're asking software to divide that motion into 16 pieces, figure out which pixels are ball and which are background, redraw and reposition the ball accurately, replace the background, where the ball was, and do this without distortion that spoils the effect. It's not that it can't be done, it's just that you have to carefully plan, carefully photograph, and carefully tweak your footage to get it to work at that kind of a speed reduction.

I'm not trying to throw water on your idea, just trying to give you some realistic expectations. Lots of action doesn't have to be slowed down that much to look very good.

3rd party plug-ins like Re:Vision FX Twixtor do a better job, a significantly better job, but 1000 FPS video from 60 is very difficult, and depending on the motion, it can be impossible.

• 6. Re: Time Warp error with CS4
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Going to try and find a all-around basic starting tutorial this weekend.

Start here to learn After Effects.