14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 1:55 PM by mikeklar

How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?

mikeklar Level 1

My concern being when the CPU is running at idle the 990x's core #5 temperature is less than the ambient room temperature, i.e. 20 degrees celsius while the ambient temperature is at 25 dgrees.  Also, the adjacent core #4 is at 36 degrees, which is higher than any of the other four cores.

Has anyone here with a 990x experienced something similar, or heard of something like this?  Could this be a serious flaw and should I contact Intel?

FYI, this replaces an i7 950 CPU due to it running in the mid to high 90 degrees celsius when transcoding in Encore CS 5.1.

The i7 990x transcodes a 7 minute test clip in less than 9 minutes and not one of the cores goes above 72 degrees celsius (the i7 950 took almost double that time).

Hoping to hear from you.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
          FelixUnderwood Level 2

I'm running a 990x overclocked to 4.16. Right now, in idle, the core temps are:

1: 37C (98 F)

2. 36C (96 F)

3. 39C (102 F)

4. 39C

5. 38C (100 F)

6. 35C (95 F)

The highest I've seen a core get is 74C. I'm using a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU cooler. I'd start to worry if I were getting core temps much above 80C. By the way, I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor to acquire these #s.

• 2. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using the same temperature program that you used for the quad core?  Felix has given you his suggestion and I am using Real Temp GT..

• 3. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
              mikeklar Level 1

Gentlemen thank you for responding.

FYI NewEgg did replace the CPU and the new one has been in this computer for the past two days.  The new CPU is of an entirely different batch, but unfortunately still demonstrates a lower than believable temperature for one core.  This is better than the first one which had an excessively low temperature for one core and the adjacent one was much higher.

To illustrate the problem with the new CPU I ran it at 100% stress for more than 12 minutes and captured the attached images.

As you can see the CPU is overclocked by 28% (i.e. to 4.4 GHz)  and the temperatures never exceeded 71 degrees celsius for one core averaging at 68 degrees celsius for all of them.

Further, the idle temperatures were captured only a few minutes after the stress test.  Assuming the core numbering being from 1 through 6, core number 2 is the one that shows readings of 19 to 20 degrees when completely idle, while the ambient room temperature is 25 degrees celsius.

Considering one pays $1K for this, what happened to quality control, Intel???

Also, I have run Intel's test at the specified core speed and it shows a temperature headroom of 60 degrees celcuis, i.e. allowing for core operating temperatures at over 90 degrees celsius...

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                mikeklar Level 1

Bill

Had downloaded Real Temp, but never used it.  So, per your suggestion played with it just now, ran a sensor test for a couple of minutes and captured the following -

Cheers,

Michael

• 5. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Michael,

Your "low temperature" (lower than ambient) is strange. Are you by any chance using a CPU cooler with Peltier technology (i.e. Cooler Master V10) that is actually performing refrigerator like cooling?

Regarding your variance of 6-core individual core temperatures under heavy OC and heavy loads I looked back at my OC'ing notes and the temperature variance for maximum temperature reached (and comparing coolest core reading to hottest core reading) ranged from 8 degrees C. to as much as 13 degrees C. I can't really explain it, but it didn't really bother me either - everything seems to be working just fine.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                    mikeklar Level 1

Jim

Again thank you for responding. The CPU cooler in my system is Noctua's NH-D14.

It is interesting, although the lowest reading core is close to 10 dgrees C lower at idle than all the others, it is only about 6 degrees C lower when under full load (hottest). The only conclusion being that the sensor for this core is simply incorrect.

BTW, I'm impressed at your PPBM5 score, your computer id is JES4, right?

I will have to do a lot more tweaking to get anywhere close to that

Having submitted my score a week ago it made #19 on the list.  To improve this perhaps disabling the speed step will help, as well turning off a bunch of programs which were running in the background during the test.

This being my first workstation on which overclocking is done by me, I've created a spreadsheet denoting any changes made to confirm stability and keep my head organized while twaking.  It is my hope you will look at it and offer your valued comments.

This computer consists of the following basic layout - the mother board is an ASUS Rampage III Extreme, the RAID card and configuration is ARECA 1880ix-12 set to RAID 3 with 8 2TB SATA HDs, the system drive is a Intel SSD 250GB running on a 6Gb/s SATA bus.  There are three additional non system realted internal drives.  Memory consists of 24GB DDR3 (2 sets of Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX) and the Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.

Cheers,

Michael

• 7. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Michael,

You are worried about what!!!???

Just looked at PPBM5 and you have posted the second fastest CS5.5 score to date, with DVD and blu-ray rendering posting faster times than Bill's (probably due to your slightly higher clocks) and Bill's I/O score is beating your rig by 10 seconds (probably due to a dedicated output HD and 15k SAS drives for his project RAID).

Yes, JES4 is mine, and here are my thoughs about where you are now and where you could potentially go:

• If you added a two drive (or larger) RAID 0 off the motherboard to "output" to when using AME, you would probably pick up a faster I/O time. However, while I/O can be an interesting benchmark, I think that most of us are more concerned about timeline performance and render times for typical workflows.
                      • I seriously doubt that additional "tweaking" could help you much, other than maybe getting your 5 second MPE score down to 3 or 4
                      • clock speed are huge, but you don't have much room to grow there
                      • Do you have a CS5 that you could load and test?

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                        mikeklar Level 1

Jim

I'm not so much worried as concerned.  As it stands now these concenrs are diminishing, but I really think Intel should be more concientious in their quality control.

Regarding overclocking; although this is turning into a game of "how much faster can I make this run", it is not an issue.

What I do look for is reasonable times to get the job done and due to the old CPU's (950) high temperatures (they ran in the mid to high 90 degrees C) while transcoding in Encore 5.1 and only dropped to the low 90 degrees when lowering the clock speed, I became parnoic.

Frankly, I WANT TO BELIEVE these low temperatures with the 990X, but am concerned when it conflicts with logic.

Thank you for your comments on the PPBM5 score, beginners luck

Regarding running this test again with CS5, yes it's still loaded and I will give it a shot.

Again, I appreciate you input.

Cheers,

Michael

• 9. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                          canoli99-gHDzwI

A wise man once said, "Don't try to unscrew the unscrutable"

Gulftowns run extremely cool. At first I thought I was a genius - as far as air flow is concerned anyway - when I saw how cool my 980 runs. Amazing! Shows what a little time and effort can do - cabling, fans, etc...

But it turns out the Gulftown and its 32nm fab - even with the 130W TDP - has some remarkable properties, some of which help to produce very low operating temps.

My idle temps range from 18 - 27 across the 6 cores, Load temps are 52-65C.

Why such a wide range across the cores? And how can one of the cores be cooler at idle than my ambient temp of 68F?

I don't know...air flow? the venturi effect? whatever produces it, it's fine by me.

• 10. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JEShort01 wrote:

Michael,

You are worried about what!!!???

Just looked at PPBM5 and you have posted the second fastest CS5.5 score to date, with DVD and blu-ray rendering posting faster times than Bill's (probably due to your slightly higher clocks) and Bill's I/O score is beating your rig by 10 seconds (probably due to a dedicated output HD and 15k SAS drives for his project RAID).

Regards,

Jim

When looking at the PPBM5 scores Jim is correct in that you cannot compare CS5.5 scores to CS5 scores.  But I have one small correction, I do not have a seperate output array.  If you have a fast enough project array there is no need for seperate output drives.  If for instance you have the normally suggested two drives in RAID 0 then you need two drives in RAID 0 to get the same type of performance.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                              mikeklar Level 1

Canoli99

"Don't unscrew the inscrutable" - are you saying just believe even if it defies logic

I'm glad to see there is someone beside me with the same curious issue.  Yes, those lower temperatures are amazing and like you I'm starting to believe

Thank you for responding.

Cheers,

Michael

• 12. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                                mikeklar Level 1

Bill

Your reference to the need for two drive arrays; would it be correct in my case if the system drive (which now consists of one SSD running on a 6Gb/s ASAT bus) were to consist of two SSD drives configured as RAID 0 hence be more comparable in speed to the existing RAID 3 project array, that this will increase the rendering speed?

Please, I'm not competing here it's simply a matter of gaining a better understanding

Cheers,

Michael

• 13. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                                  Magnus Allgurén Level 2

Hi,

I am running the 990X at stock speed and also have very very low temps, don't know why! I don't even reach 55 degrees C when overclocking to 4GHz and running full load with IntelBurnTest.

Oh, and I am using the Noctua NH-C14 cooler with two 140mm fans.

Here are my temps at stock and idle. Similar to yours?

990x temps.jpg

• 14. Re: How concerned should I be on a new Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X CPU's erroneous sensor reading?
                                    mikeklar Level 1

Magnus

Yes, they are about the same at idle except in my case Core #1 reads about 10 degrees C cooler, i.e. aroune 20 degrees C.

At full load (when transcoding) it does reach the high 70s C.  Please note, at that stage it would be running at 28% over-clocked.

Cheers,

Michael