5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 1:12 PM by Michael Thornburgh

Netstream.send() privacy settings

Pablo P. Level 1

I'm using Netstream.send() to transfer a file between two users.

A previous discussion can be found here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/890122?tstart=0

It works well except of flash settings issue.

When trying to access a camera or mic the Flash ask the user for permissions automatically.

When trying to send a file, the Flash player doesn't show the privacy popup.

If the user doesn't set his privacy to Allow, the file transfer fails.

There are two issues:

1. The privacy settings popup isn't shown automatically.

2. The privacy popup ask permissions to access the camera and mic and doesn't say anything about data transfer.

Am I missing something or are the above real issues?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Netstream.send() privacy settings
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

the P2P access dialog will only show when using RTMFP Groups (NetGroup or a group NetStream).  if you're just doing NetStream.send() on a 1-to-1 (NetStream.DIRECT_CONNECTIONS and new NetStream(netConnection, peerID)) P2P connection, then there is no P2P access dialog.

if you're doing groups and the P2P access dialog isn't showing up, there are a few possible causes:

1) for some reason you at one point selected "Deny" *and* checked "Remember"; in that case, Flash Player won't present the dialog and will behave as though you clicked "Deny"

2) Flash Player's window or region in the browser page is too small for the P2P access dialog.  if the P2P access dialog can't be presented because the window is too small, it will behave as though you clicked "Deny"

3) there is a known bug in Flash Player when using wmode=direct (which you would use for Stage Video) where, when you set wmode=direct, the P2P access dialog won't be displayed, and the behavior will be as though you clicked "Deny".  this issue will be fixed in a future release of Flash Player. to work around this, set wmode to a different value.

• 2. Re: Netstream.send() privacy settings
            Pablo P. Level 1

I'm not using NetGroup.

the P2P access dialog will only show when using RTMFP Groups (NetGroup or a group NetStream).  if you're just doing NetStream.send() on a 1-to-1 (NetStream.DIRECT_CONNECTIONS and new NetStream(netConnection, peerID)) P2P connection, then there is no P2P access dialog.

I'm using NetSteam.send() on a 1-to-1 P2P connection as you described. I don't see a P2P access dialog but if the media privacy tab is set to Deny than NetStream.send() doesn't work.

For NetStream.send() in 1-to-1 P2P connectino the privacy settings shouldn't have any effect?

Is it possible that there is a bug and it does affect NetStream.send()?

• 3. Re: Netstream.send() privacy settings

NetStream.send() data is timestamped. by default a receiving NetStream plays out a stream (including timed data messages) in "buffered playout" mode.  that means it'll try to accumulate NetStream.bufferTime (by default 0.1 seconds) of stream (video, audio, and/or "other") in the queue before playback starts. if you send one NetStream.send() message and no regularl video or audio messages, the receive queue will just have one thing in it and the buffer length will be approximately 0. playback of your data message will never commence.

when using a data-only NetStream, set the receiver's NetStream.bufferTime to 0.

• 4. Re: Netstream.send() privacy settings
                Pablo P. Level 1

I had bufferTime set on the outgoing stream. Moving it to the incoming stream fixed my issue.

Just to make sure, is this what needed for the outgoing and incoming streams for p2p data only stream?

outgoingStream = new NetStream(netConnection, NetStream.DIRECT_CONNECTIONS);
                outgoingStream.dataReliable = true;

incomingStream = new NetStream(netConnection, farID);
                incomingStream.bufferTime = 0;

• 5. Re: Netstream.send() privacy settings

correct.  however, the default value for NetStream.dataReliable is true, so you don't explicitly need to set that.