4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 11:14 PM by FasanoUnderwaterPro

After Effects Slows PPro Significantly

FasanoUnderwaterPro Level 1

I'm on a 2011 macbook pro 17" 5 months old, 2.2 quad-core, 8gb ram with a 6tb RAID via eSata

Production Premium CS 5.5

Any time a clip is edited in After Effects, and replaced in PPro, it slows all processes of PPro significantly. Render times take 5x's longer, edits are not immediate, cannot see changes in other clips in immediately, etc...

Is there something that is hindering PPro to operate normally even when I'm past the editing and rendering of the replaced clip?

Thank you for any and all help.

-Charlie-

• 1. Re: After Effects Slows PPro Significantly
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First question: What codec are you using when you render your AE comps?

Second question: What codec / format / settings are you using in Premiere Pro?

If you match the codecs or use Dynamic Link things will render fairly well, but for best performance you need to be rendering your AE projects to exactly the same codec used in Premere unless it's a highly compressed format like AVCHD.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects Slows PPro Significantly

I am using all AVCHD footage.

How do I check the that the settings are the same? Timeline and After Effects settings need to be the same?

• 3. Re: After Effects Slows PPro Significantly
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't render to AVCHD footage. Check the Sequence settings in Premiere and make sure you compositions are the same size and frame rate. Then render to something like MotionJpg or even Animation Codec Quicktimes. These codecs require very little processing to re-render in Premiere Pro.

You never want to render to MPEG codecs directly from AE.

AVCHD footage takes a bunch of processor power to decode then re-encode so it's going to take a while to render to the PPro timeline. Sorry, I know of no way around this problem when working with highly compressed footage.

Personally, I always transcode (re-encode) AVCHD footage before I even bring it into Premiere. I do the same with all highly compressed video like video from DSLR's. I'm on a Mac so I mostly use ProRez 422 because it's 10 bit, nearly lossless, takes very little CPU power to decode, and plays back in real time very well. The only time I keep a PPro project in a native compressed format is when I'm doing quick cuts only edits.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects Slows PPro Significantly

Thank you Rick and my apologies for a delayed reply. I've been on the water.

Please understand, I am a marine biologist first and video editor second. Also, I'm coming from FCP where I did everything in Apple's Intermediate codec and am unsure which is the best codec to use for HD 1080i editing in PPro. I am filming in AVCHD so I figured to edit natively but seems I might be slowing myaself down for no reason.

Can you direct me in how to check these settings please? I want to be as efficient as possible.

Thank you.

-Charlie-