19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2011 4:40 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!

Darth Kwan

Ok, so in either a rendering, or an exporting Premiere Pro CS5.5 project, or in the case of exporting media, also Media Encoder exporting file,  my PC will unexplicably shut down. Just cut off, then slowly start itself back up. I shoot on the Panason Lumix GH2 (unhacked) , so I work with raw MTS files just dropped on the tmelne, usually usng effects lke Neat Vdeo, Magic Bullet Colorista II, and Mercalli V2 on several clips all at once(apparently I shoot for these wonderful plugins to fix my lazy shooting mistakes in post).This usually happens with efects laden projects, projects I need done all the time dur to the nature of my job as a freelance video editor.

Running Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Intel Core i7 930 @ stock 2.8 GHz

22 GB 1333 Mhz RAM

Geforce GTS 250

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 w/ Mainconcept Hardware Codec for boosted editing/ export

I seem to have found the points whenver the the PC crashes to reboot by paying attention to the performance windows of task manager. How do I stop Premiere Pro CS5.5, or Media Encoder, from pushing the CPU cores to 100%, becuase whenever the projects are rendering, or exporting, and the CPUs reach to 100%,  everything cuts off. Should I transcode to a lighter, uncompressed editng codec like Cineform? How about dropping the Mainconcept renderer for my Geforce GTS 250, would that be any help.BTW, lowering the bitrate in exporting media in both Prmeire or Media encoder doesn' help, and most projects still reach 100% CPU power. Do I need a water cooler, the CPU temps do reach 115 degrees Farenheit when being pushed hard. Would a monster CPU liqud cooler make a differnece?

Its so frsutrating to have a beast computer for everything else, when the one thing you built it to do properly and efficiently causes it to commit suicide every now and then with an effects heavy project. PLEASE HELP!!!

• 1. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
          wonderspark Level 1

You didn't mention what recording mode your footage is, so I'll assume it's either of the two AVCHD formats:

1,920 x 1,080, 24p (24H: 24Mbps, 24L: 17Mbps)
          1,920 x 1,080, 50i/60i (F/SH: 17 Mbps, F/H: 13 Mbps)

I've edited raw MTS footage like this natively on the timeline (but probably didn't have all the effects you're trying to use on it) with no problems in CS5. It seems AVCHD is not the best footage to work with natively, so I'd suggest bringing it into After Effects, applying your effects there, and exporting it to a friendlier format to edit in Premiere... perhaps mpg. Then, I'll bet you'll be cooking with gas for the edit, renders and exports. If nothing else, convert it to something easier for the system to handle and then do the work just like you are currently.

• 2. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
            Jim_Simon Level 8

This is a symptom of some potentially serious hardware issues.  Make sure your CPU cooler is up to snuff.  It sounds very much like your CPU is overheating and the mobo is shutting things down to prevent damage.

• 3. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
              wonderspark Level 1

Yeah, it does sound strange that the whole PC would shut down... but it makes me question where the 115deg F temp is being measured. My CPU A core temp is reading 113-115 F right now, just browsing the internet on a 75 F night... fans are at minimum idle speed, ambient air inside the box is 91 F. When I run renders and such, my CPU gets up to about 160 F and the fans get their jollies, but nothing close to any sort of crash or shut-down. Maybe it's a typo, and he meant CPU temps get to 115 C.

• 4. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                Darth Kwan Level 1

The only setting I use on the almighty GH2 is AVCHD  1,920 x 1,080, 24p ,24H: 24Mbps. I discovered the temperature of my CPUs by using a program called Speed Fan. On idle, my CPUs show a warning for temperature, which in the program is desgnated by a fire icon next to the CPU core (there are four cores; Cores, 0,1,2,and 3,). I guess really do need a new water cooler for my CPU, can you guys recommend the best liquid coolers out there for core i7 CPUs for me to consider, I googled and I came up with several different results. I kinda don't know which is the best, so a suggestion would be very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

Maybe it is time to invest in CIneform. I have been looking to buy it very soon anyway...

BTW, we are still talking about  Premiere Pro CS5.5 crashing when is pushed to the brink. Besides a CPU temp, problem, what else going on with my hardware could be causing the shutdowns. Remember, they don't always occur, only during the monster effects projects that I work on when rendering, or exporting project sequences.

• 5. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

In Speedfan, go to Configuration and set the warning temps for each of the cores to your liking. In C I have them at 40 and 55 degrees.

Next post a screenshot of your measurements, so we can judge whether there is a cooling problem.

• 6. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                    Darth Kwan Level 1

Nah, I really did mean 115 degrees F. I understand that CPUs work more relialby, and last longer, when kept at frostier temps such as 40 C or 31 C. I don't even think it is the temps or the CPUs power reaching 100% anymore, anyways. I have a doc project I am working on and I applied some Colorista II and Neat video to a clip, slected Render effects in work area, opened Performance in Task Manager, and observed. The CPU cut off again, but it didn't even pass 60% this time! Also the temps only went as high as 54 C or 59 C in Speed Fan. Lord help me. I'm running an ASUS P6T SE MoBo. CPUs cooled with stock intel fan. Case has three 120mm Fans.

I honsetly don't know what it is now. I'm running a clean version of Master Collection and can't get it to work when I need it most!

• 7. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                      Darth Kwan Level 1

You mean during rendering, correct?

• 8. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

While heat is one potential cause of a BSOD, it is not the only one.

This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and also offers links to some tools for troubleshooting (thanks to Harm)..

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think he's getting a BSOD, Bill.  I think the rig just goes into a complete shutdown.  That speaks very, very strongly to an overheating CPU, or a failing power supply, or a bad mobo.  That it seems to happen only when the CPU is stressed is what favors the overheating option.

• 10. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                            Darth Kwan Level 1

Yeah, I'm not getting BSOD, just a complete shutdown, then an automatic reboot. Is it a n overheated/overstresses CPU? If so, what do I do? Everything with my PC runs ABSOLUTELY smooth like butter until I have to render a heavy project.

• 11. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

He might not SEE a BSOD, but if the system is shutting down, and rebooting, it exists. The OS can be set to Reboot on Error, or not, and if not, then the BSOD screen will be visible. If one is having system shutdowns, with/without reboots, turning Reboot on Error off, will usually display the BSOD screen, and that can be useful (though often not), for diagnosing the issue.

In the article, mention is made of using the Event Viewer to explore what is happening, and finding clues.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The common BSOD screen might not be shown, but if you go to your OS, and change the Reboot on Error to OFF, you probably will.

Whether you see one or not, there are tons of links in that article, that might be helpful to you, and especially the Finding Clues link. With Reboot on Errors ON, that is essentially where your BSOD is going to be located, in the form of an error message.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if it is heat build up, a machine might reboot, but if the CPU is still overheated, will often shut back down, when attempting to load Windows - but if it cools enough to reload Windows, that second shutdown will not happen. This is seen more on laptops, which usually have an additional layer of thermal protection in the MoBo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

He might not SEE a BSOD, but if the system is shutting down, and rebooting, it exists.

That's not true.  My power supply went bad recently.  Damn thing kept shutting down on me randomly.  There was no BSOD, because there was no problem with Windows or any driver or any software.  The damn power going to the mobo and CPU just kept being disrupted.  Same thing if the power goes out during a storm.  There's no BSOD to go with it, and doesn't have to be.

• 15. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

if you go to your OS, and change the Reboot on Error to OFF, you probably will.

Even with that on, the BSOD will show for a couple of seconds before reboot.  A flat out shut-down is a very different thing, and is almost certainly a hardware/power issue, not a Windows or driver issue.

• 16. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                        Darth Kwan Level 1

Anybody have any idea specifically what the problem could be. I go into the Event Viewer, and I see that the level of the probelm is listed under the "Critical" column, under the Source column , all the times it has happened is labeled as coming from "Kernel-Power", and the General Details are described as:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Here is the code found under the Details section of the decription:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date:          8/19/2011 12:28:05 AM

Event ID:      41

Task Category: (63)

Level:         Critical

Keywords:      (2)

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      JONES

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-19T04:28:05.984816600Z" />

<EventRecordID>135532</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>JONES</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

What does this mean??!! Please Help!!

• 17. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

It means you keep loosing power, probably from one of the three reasons previously listed - bad power supply, bad mobo, or CPU overheating.

• 18. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                            Darth Kwan Level 1

It could any of those things that you listed, but how do I determine which one. It wouldn't be wise to just replace everything, even if I had the money to, which I don't. Is there anyway software or hardware-wise that I can test the power supply, Motherboard, RAM's or CPU's effeciency? For example, anyway to test if is the power supply with a program that can test reliablity?

Another question would be if the Power Supply could crap out if Premiere Pro or Media Encoder push the CPUs to around 90-100%( which they often do) constantly during miuntes to hours long durations of render/exporting?

• 19. Re: Premiere/AME keeps crashing; CPU/RAM keep spiking. HELP!!!!
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the conditions under which it craps out, my suspicion is still an overheating CPU.  Get yourself a good fan, instead of the stock cooler.  Even if that isn't the cause of this issue, it's still a wise investment.

To answer the question directly, the only way I know to test for the problem piece with any certainty is to replace each piece, one at a time, and see if that fixes it.  It's a *****, I know.