7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 9:17 AM by Mike-Baldwin

X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions

Mike-Baldwin Level 1

Hi All,

My first post here, though first and foremost, huge thanks to everyone for all of your posts and great discussions.  I’ve tried to do my homework but still have a couple of questions before I hit everyone up for a critque of my complete build spec.

For a bit of context, I’m shooting for about a $1500 build and the majority of material I anticipate working with will be ProRes 422 HQ telecine files (1080p @ aprox 25 MB/sec ,IIRC).  I'll be routinely doing color correction, etc. before output to Blu-ray.

1:  I was planning to get an i7 960 CPU due to speed/price ($199) and have the intention of overclocking it.  Is the 960 still the best choice for an overclocked quad-core i7 build?  I know that there are some chip to chip differences in what Intel lets you have access to (e.g. multiplier etc).  Maybe a 950 is more tweakable?

2:  I’m trying to decide between the ASUS P6X58D-E  and GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Mobos.  Could anyone offer any advice on how they made their decision between the two?  I’m leaning towards the Gigabyte board d/t the extra 2 SATA connectors but maybe that’s shortsighted?  Lastly, what is the appeal of the more expensive boards like the Rampage III?

3: Megahalems cooler: What fan setups are folks running (push/pull, push only) and any fan recommendations that balance noise vs. CFU ?  I’m assuming that clearance won’t be a problem for the typical cases that folks are using (HAF 32/X or Nine Hundred Two/Twelve Hundred)?

4: Is the CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 a good choice of RAM in terms of later overclocking, Mobo choice and clearance with the Megahalems?

5: Case:  I’ve looked at the Cooler Master HAF 32 and X, Antec Nine Hundred Two V3, Antec Twelve Hundred V3 and Lian Li  PC-A70F. Anyone have any other recommendations in the $100-$200 range that they think might we worth considering?  I’m pretty sure that I’ll be filling 6 drive bays from the start.

Any and all advice great appreciated.

Thanks !!

-Mike

• 1. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
          RjL190365 Level 4

Mike,

1) The i7-960 is a bit outdated, is actually a bit slower than lower-numbered i7-9xx CPUs at the same clock speed due to its already high multiplier (133x24) and is not as "overclockable" as the lower-numbered i7-9xx CPUs. You might have to manually force a lower maximum non-Turbo multiplier and disable the Turbo in order to get an overclocked i7-960 to perform as fast as an overclocked lower-numbered i7-9xx CPU. In fact, given today's prices, I would not go for an LGA 1366 build at this time unless you can afford a hexa-core CPU such as an i7-970 or i7-980 (the i7-960 and lower are all only quad-core CPUs).

2) Between the two motherboards, go with the Asus because the Gigabyte adds a third SATA controller (that third SATA controller is a Jmicron controller that's branded Gigabyte) that may increase the probability of instability. Plus, the GA-X58A-UD3R that I used to have wasn't very stable to begin with.

4) The Vengeance has very high heat spreaders that cannot be shortened at all whatsoever. Therefore, most big CPU heatsinks will not provide sufficient clearance for those memory modules. In the worst cases, you might have to settle for the stock boxed Intel CPU cooler just to even use those Vengeance modules.

5) I personally would not go with either of the Antec cases listed in your original post: Both of them, especially the Nine Hundred, are cramped on the inside (especially from front to rear) - at least for their relatively high street prices. If you have a bunch of hard drives installed in the case, the Nine Hundred cannot accommodate any high-end graphics cards because the drives themselves restrict the maximum length of the graphics cards to be installed to only 9.5 inches (the length of most mid-range graphics cards).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

For a bit of context, I’m shooting for about a $1500 build and the majority of material I anticipate working with will be ProRes 422 HQ telecine files (1080p @ aprox 25 MB/sec ,IIRC).  I'll be routinely doing color correction, etc. before output to Blu-ray.

Why, when you can do it native in PR. Who would want ProRes on a PC?

The 960 is the better choice than the 950, because is tolerates higher clock speed from the factory. But in your setup, please consider 6 x 4 GB memory instead of limiting yourself to only 3 x 4 GB. You will see sizable performance gains.

Push/pull is always better than a single CPU fan, especially with overclocking. The Vengeance is a good choice. I use them myself. The coolers are pretty high, so check that they fit with the Megahalem.

For the mobo, two main considerations, layout of the expansion slots (how many PCI-e 16x slots, how far apart are they physically, etc.) and the quality of the capacitors used. I guess that the differences are minimal, since both are ASUS boards.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
              Mike-Baldwin Level 1

Thanks for the help, insight and patience while I get on top of all this stuff.  I'm really looking forward to building my first PC for editing.

1) So which of the i7-9xx CPUs would you think would yield the most desirable overclocked system (excluding the hex-cores)?

4) Would you recommend a different RAM or would switch coolers and stick with the Venegance?

5) This is hugely helpful to know. Thanks !! Could you mention a couple of alternatives for me to take a look at?

Thanks again!!

-Mike

• 4. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
                Mike-Baldwin Level 1

Thanks Harm, this is super helpful.

Why ProRes?  Of the available output formats from the folks doing the telecine, ProRes 422 HQ is the highest bandwidth option that I can get.  You're thinking that I should try to get my hands on the native output?  My thought was that since the source material is super 8mm film there would be little value added working with the native material and the huge difference in storage space and transfer speeds required.

Sorry, the RAM should have been listed as 6 x 4 GB as you said. One of the attraction of going with a X58 build vs. Sandy Bridge was that I could outfit it with 24 GB of RAM for under $200.

Just out of curiosity what cooler are you running with your Vengeance sticks? 

When I ask for feedback on my complete build, what's the etiquette, add it to this thread or create a new discussion?

Thanks !!

--- Mike

• 5. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm using the Noctua NH-U12SP2 in push/pull configuration. Fits without problems in combination with 6 Vengeance sticks.

There is no specific etiquette that I'm aware of regarding posting here or in a new thread, as long as it is closely related to the stated topic. If not, start a new topic.

Given your stated topic, which is very specific, it may be wise to start a new topic, since your new question is much broader than the original topic.

I'm a very simple (minded) person who tries to follow the KISS rules. (Works with the ladies as well, ). If you can get native material in, why change anything, but in your case, coming from the telecine people, you may not have many alternatives. There is another consideration, but that is purely personal and possibly biased. Anything related to MAC, whether it is QT or as I prefer to call it, QuiRckTime, because of the many quircks  they cause on PC's, or ProRes are all pretty suspicious to me. But I repeat, I'm biased.

• 6. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
                    Islanders66 Level 1

They may have changed this with FCPX but the ProRes codec was only available with if you had FCP.

Is it now ProRes now a stand alone down load?

I havn't used it but one of the reasons I went with a desk top PC for Pr 5.5.

• 7. Re: X58 Build: Couple of initial CPU Overclock, Mobo and Megahalems questions
                      Mike-Baldwin Level 1

Thanks Harm, immensely helpful.

I also spent some more time trolling around the web and found a post where, should push come to shove, a guy showed how easy it was to take the heat risers off of the RAM sticks.  Ideally I won't have to go that route but nice to know there's a potential B plan.

I also definitely agree that it would really have been nice not to have to go the Frankenstein Mac => PC route starting with the ProRes material.  I think it will eventually work out to be an okay process but at the same time I know that I will likely end up having to work FAR more bugs out of my process than had I just stayed in an entire PC-esque workflow. Sigh. .

Islander66- While I'm not entirely sure I follow you, I can say that my ProRes files appear to work just fine in PP 5.0 (haven’t upgraded yet).  The only thing I haven't done with them yet  is the final step outputing for Blu-ray.  I've heard some folks say that key thing is having Quicktime Pro installed on your system (and others that say it works fine without any additional steps).  Either way it was transparent to me.  What I have been wondering about is whether I'm preserving/taking advantage of the 10-bit color space of the ProRes format or whether it's getting crushed on import into Premiere.  Needless to say, I've got a lot more reading to do (there was a really sweet blog post that the VideoGuys put up for folks bailing from FCP to PP d/t not liking the FCPX transition).

Thanks!!