9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 7:15 AM by Peter Spier

Indexing advertisements in a magazine

phyllisj9 Level 2

I create an index of the advertisements in the magazine I work on. I'm doing this with a TOC and then a text block on top of each ad which contains the paragraph style for the TOC. I group that text block together with the ad. This works great. Except I'm tired of looking at the text blocks on top of the ads. But I remember it didn't work when I tried putting them on a hidden layer (or maybe it was because they needed to be grouped). Any suggestions? How do other folks handle this? I don't remember where I got the method, but someone described it on this board once.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine
          phyllisj9 Level 2

P.S.  The text blocks are set to non-printing, but I'm still fairly paranoid that I'll accidentally print one one of these days...

• 2. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

phyllisj9 wrote:

I don't remember where I got the method, but someone described it on this board once.

Thanks, Phyllis

I think that was probably me. Do you use numbered prefixes in your tags to allow sorting? I wrote it up a couple of years age, here while developing the technique, and for InDesign Magazine when it was perfected.

If it is my method, I'm gratified someone was able to understand and put it to use. The person who inspired me to do it never quite got it, I think.

I understand paranoia. When I use the trick myself, I make a bunch of "blank" (they have the prefixes) text frames, already set to non-printing, and I put them in a library, then drag one out as needed. makes it a lot harder to forget to set the non-printing.

• 3. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine
              phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks Peter,

Your method is awesome!

Do you use numbered prefixes in your tags to allow sorting?

Since I don't understand this question (what does it mean?), I'm guessing that I don't.  I just list the advertiser's name in the text block so that the index is set up alphabetically.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 4. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine

Then you aren't using my method, at least no in its final form.

My method uses numbered prefix tags followed by a single letter to allow you to sort first by advertiser classification, then alphabetically by advertiser name. The same number series is used for classification and adevertisers that need to be in that classification (which makes it easy to calssify an advertiser in multiple groups, just add another paragraph tot he tag with the second prefix). I use at least three digits, and start out with leaving all the ones' places, and maybe even the tens' places set to 0 so I can insert more categories later as the index grows and maintain any sort order I want (classifications don't need to be listed Alphabetically!).

For the single letter I use C for classifications and T for advertiser tags, but it doesn't matter what you use as long as the ltter for claasifications comes befor the one for advertisers in alphabetical order. The classification list also needs to be in a non-printing frame someplace in the file -- anyplace is fine. After generating the TOC with an alphabetical sort, you use Find/Change to remove the prefixes, and your advertisers are listed alphabetically under each classification. Peter Kahrel helped me with a script to consolidate listings for advertisers who take out more than one ad so they look like ABC Co. .... 12, 72, 105.

• 5. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine
                  phyllisj9 Level 2

Hey Peter,

I'll reread that a few times and see if I can figure out what it means.  :-)  I think I probably did read your method but left out the prefix part as my index is always the same (just the advertiser names listed alphabetically).  So my text blocks just have the advertiser name in them.  But I will see if I can figure out what you mean in case I need to use it.

Thanks for all the info.  I think I'm going to change the transparency of the text blocks to zero as a precaution.  I notice that I can still see them when I'm scrolling through the document (just they disappear when I let go of the mouse).  Wish I could hide them all together, but I'll do what I can.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 6. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine

You can buy the issue of the magazine with the full description, screen shots, queries and script for $11 at http://www.indesignmag.com/View.asp/Id/P531-Z192168013141-Y909-S20090615112109, or you can wait and see if I can get a reprint PDF that I can send to you for free.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine
                      phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks Peter!  I appreciate all your help!  And I don't mind buying a back issue.  I'll get one and see if I can figure out your method.  I used to be a regular subscriber to that magazine though I think I lapsed during a period of time when I couldn't get the most recent versions of InDesign.  These days I have the newest of the new.  :-)   I'll have to pick up a new subscription as it was always helpful.

Thanks, Phyllis

• 8. Re: Indexing advertisements in a magazine

After you read the whole method, if you have questions you can send me a Private Message.

1 person found this helpful