6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 6:22 AM by danegeld

Backwards ePub

danegeld Level 1

I've already successfully exported a large, complicated project (75 pages of complicated scientific data) to ePub using 5.5. Now I'm making a tutorial/example file with just a few objects in it to show co-workers what the guts of an ePub file look like and how they work. I created a simple, single-page file in CS5.5 only to find that the ePub exported with everything in reverse order. I made a new file, simplified, and added four one-line text objects to it, in this order, top to bottom on the page:

Object 1

Object 2

Object 3

Object 4

When I export the ePub, the resulting file looks like this:

Object 4

Object 3

Object 2

Object 1

If I use the Articles panel, I can sometimes get it to export correctly, but for something this simple, that shouldn't be necessary and for the large project I made, I didn't use the Articles panel at all. This makes no sense and I can't figure out why it's doing this. I've also tried tagging the content, but that doesn't fix it either.

• 1. Re: Backwards ePub
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign's default order for export to EPUB is left to right, and when objects have the same horizontal position, from top to bottom.

But it's always MUCH easier to set up the order in the Articles panel in InDesign CS5.5 because you don't have to try to guess the position by eye, or by rearranging objects on the page.

• 2. Re: Backwards ePub
            danegeld Level 1

That is just what it is not doing. There are only four objects on the page, each one below the other, none are beside each other. The Articles panel is overkill for something this simple. I'm trying to understand why ID is writing the HTML with the objects in reverse order.

• 3. Re: Backwards ePub
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't matter. ID goes left to right and it matters not where they are as far as top to bottom goes. If the object on the bottom is the furthest to the left, it will be first in the Epub.

Bob

• 4. Re: Backwards ePub
                danegeld Level 1

While true, that's absolutely absurd. It means that centered headers, indented block quotes, ANYTHING that isn't flush-left will break the exported ePub. I also have to say that it's pretty typical of the way Adobe does things: if it can be made difficult for end-users, it WILL be made difficult. I'm so looking forward to rewriting the HTML within my ePubs just because Adobe can't read a document page from top to bottom.

• 5. Re: Backwards ePub
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which is why the Articles panel was developed and why the rest of us with 5.5 use it. It was developed by a very responsive InDesign team to user needs.

• 6. Re: Backwards ePub
                    danegeld Level 1

Nice. What that really means is that even for simple ePubs, I have to essentially double the time it takes to export because I'm forced to use the Articles panel, which, by the way, in my experience doesn't always work correctly and still sometimes exports objects in the wrong order. "Responsive Adobe" is an oxymoron of the highest order. It would seem to me that the more logical approach would be to read down the page, then left-to-right and export based on that information.