Virtual Memory:

paging size for all drives 3894 MB

NLE Version

PE 9.0

Audio Hardware:

IDT High Definition Audio

Intel Display Audio

Disk Drives: Toshiba MK5056GSY

And my problem is that every time I try to open a new project  or one already existed PE is saying that I must update my display driver because it is incompatible. I tried doing that and Windows replied that my drivers are up to date, that i should not change anything.

I was not experiencing this before. The only change I've made is that I connected this laptop to a new tv to output the content of my laptop into it.

But now it is not plugged anymore and all I get is this error. And, when I get to see my project in the monitor area I do not see any video. It freezes on a picture and I am not able to see the video playing.

In concrete: I am not able to edit anything because I can not see any video playing, neither in the small screen (monitor) nor when it is full screen (dark).

I am new to PE but my experience with it has been very bad. It crashes on me like crazy and now I have this problem.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you for your help

Maria del R

• 1. Re: incompatible display driver
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have the tried what's suggested in the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: incompatible display driver
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go to the HP site, and see if they have a current driver for that chip. Unfortunately, Intel graphics display chips seldom have good driver support, and that is why I always recommend either nVidia, or ATI, as they issue new drivers about once per month.

Windows (or any driver utility), is usually not going to be accurate, within 6  8 mos., and with video drivers, that is not current enough. However, with the Intel chips, that might be closer to being correct, but check with HP directly.

PrE, PrPro, After Effects, Photoshop and a very few other programs need to interface much more closely with the video driver, than almost any other program. The Intel chips are OK for wordprocessing, surfing the Net, and returning e-mails, but when one gets beyond a spreadsheet, they fall very short, and that is mainly because of the lack of good driver support. HP might be able to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: incompatible display driver
              Maria del R Level 1

Thanks, I will try and report

• 4. Re: incompatible display driver
                Maria del R Level 1

Hello

I went to HP's website and looked for the driver and it had the same date as mine so I did not update it. I did rename the BadDrivers.txt file and certainly no longer see the message but the problem continues because when I go into Premiere Elements and open a project, I can not see it play. I can hear it play but not see it. And, as you can imagine, it is pointless to use PRE if I cannot see the video I want to edit.

What would be your advice here? Should I uninstall and install PRE again? I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks

• 5. Re: incompatible display driver
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
                  What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0
                  What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
                  Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below
                  For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
                  For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/
                  Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project
                  • 6. Re: incompatible display driver
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That is the most unfortunate aspect of having the Intel graphics chip - there is almost no driver support for them. I was hoping that HP had stepped up, and issued newer ones (what was the date of the one on the HP site?). Both ATI/AMD and nVidia update about monthly, if not sooner. As they are driven by the gaming industry, they are pressed to develop better drivers, and one that work with all of the latest updates to OS's, so one sees new drivers very frequently.

The same thing can happen, even with an ATI, or nVidia chip, if the computer mfgr. writes a proprietary driver for it. I ran against that with a Toshiba laptop. It was state-of-the-art, at the time, and had an nVidia chip, but Toshiba rewrote the driver, so that ONLY a Toshiba driver would install. Toshiba never issued one driver update. I had to basically "roll my own," and use a utility that would rewrap the nVidia drivers, to fool the Toshiba into installing it. Do not know if Toshiba still does that, as I would never buy another one, just for reasons, like that, plus zero customer support.

Every time I see a user with an Intel graphics chip, I hold my breath. They are fine for general computing, but horrible, because of the lack of driver support, for image, or video editing programs. Both Photoshop and Premiere need to interface very closely with the video driver.

Good luck, and wish that I had some "fix" just hiding in my toolbox, but with a laptop, one has few choices. With a desktop, the fix is to by-pass the embedded Intel, and add a current nVidia, or ATI card w/ the latest drivers. Cannot do that on most laptops.

Hunt