5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 6:44 PM by Jim_Simon

Mac User Need Windows Help  !

ExactImage Level 3

So, we're finally putting together an extra edit bay and I'm seriously looking at the windows platform due to cost and purported performance advantages.   I'm going to be looking for advice on hardware shortly, but for now I'm running the trial software on some old (read: slow) hardware just to get a feel for what the issues are going to be.

Transcoding

On the Mac we'd transcode to ProRes 422 due to our FCP heritage if we didn't want to use the native files.  It looks like I can install Quicktime and a Windows (read only) Prores codec, but what are the problems associated with this?  

If we don't install Quicktime, what are the best options for transcoding MXF files (Canon XF100 + XF300) on Windows?

Metadata

On the Mac we open Bridge and add the global metadata such as Reel to all the files from that card, plus the Shot, Angle etc to lots of files at the same time, so when they are imported in to PP it sees that stuff automatically.  This is MUCH faster than going through one file at a time in PP once the files are imported.  If we don't use Quicktime files (.mov) what are the options for doing this type of thing on Windows? 

Cross Platform Codecs

What are the best codecs for cross platform editing/rendering?  We may or may not share projects and bring them all together on a single machine at the end, but certainly I'm looking to build a render machine that we can hand a project off to for final export of all the variations (DVD, Blu-ray, Web etc) while we continue working on the next project our the edit machine.

I'm sure I'm going to have a LOT more questions, but I'd like to keep things focussed at this point.....   Thanks!

• 1. Re: Mac User Need Windows Help  !
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          It looks like I can install Quicktime and a Windows (read only) Prores codec, but what are the problems associated with this?

None, realistically. You can't write to ProRes, but you already know that. There isn't a native ProRes importer, so that means you'll be running the 32-bit QT Server bridge application in order to use said files in the 64-bit Premiere Pro application, but despite all the clamoring about how this is going to "destroy the 64-bit nature of PPro," it's largely bunk. I use a lot of QuickTime files with a myriad of codecs, and still get realtime performance, etc.

If we don't install Quicktime, what are the best options for transcoding MXF files (Canon XF100 + XF300) on Windows?

I'm confused by this: there isn't any need to transcode those files, at least insofar as Premiere Pro is concerned. Or are you looking to create a file that will work with FCP as well?

If we don't use Quicktime files (.mov) what are the options for doing this type of thing on Windows?

This is a major reason that I don't think Bridge is a worthwhile application for video post-production--it was built for photos and the like, and then the video stuff just got tacked on. In short, tapeless formats and Bridge are a no-go. BUT, there is a solution of sorts: use OnLocation. It's included with Premiere Pro, and will let you preview and log/add metadata to tapeless footage. It will let you work en masse as you can in Bridge (select multiple files, change one value, update all), and you can quickly copy and paste metadata as well.

That said, OnLocation is not a perfect application, but will be somewhat more usable than Bridge is for tapeless formats.

What are the best codecs for cross platform editing/rendering?

Check out the Avid QuickTime Codecs. Very similar to ProRes, great quality, cross-platform, and free!

• 2. Re: Mac User Need Windows Help  !
            ExactImage Level 3

Thanks Colin.  Much appreciated.

I downloaded Quicktime and installed it (7.7).  Prores files didn't play, so I downloaded the ProRes codec from Apple and tried to install it but it tells me that later versions are already installed.   Hmmmm..... did I miss something obvious?

I downloaded the Avid codecs and installed them.  Great.  Now, where exactly do they show up in Media Encoder?  I can't find them

OnLocation : Seems really complicated for just adding meta data to tapeless files.  Do I really need to go through all the 'adding time to clips' stuff?  If so it's going to take longer than going through clips one by one on PP    The workflow using Bridge on .mov files is MUCH faster!

MXF Files : We're used to transcoding them for FCP, although FCP now has native plugins.  We also have an AVCHD camera that we need to transcode too, so ProRes was the default.   If these can be done to an Avid codec just as easily (using Media Encoder?) then that's a good alternative - as long as the Metadata stuff doesn't slow us down too much.

It's a while since I've used Windows for anything other than Accounts (using my trusty old XP installation) but within an hour of using this I get the very familiar error dialog "Can't find MSVCR71.dll, try reinstalling" !!!  Ah. C'mon!!!!   I just installed it all!  Arrgghh!!!  So, I re-installed all of CS5.5. and still get the error - so now it's got to be one of the other add-ons like Quicktime or Avid codecs.  Starting to remember why I hated Windows so much!

• 3. Re: Mac User Need Windows Help  !
              ExactImage Level 3

Re-installed Quicktime and it's all running.   I even found the Avid codecs now.   Strange that they are a .mov file yet the metadata added in bridge don't come in to PP like the metadata added to a Prores file does.   <  confused  >

Adding metadata is certainly a bottleneck to a fast workflow... so I don't want to take a step backwards on that if I can help it.   Of course, I could have missed some really simple steps in Premiere Pro to adding the same metadata (e.g. Tape Name) to multiple files at once, instead of having to Copy/click, click again! and then paste ???

• 4. Re: Mac User Need Windows Help  !
                ExactImage Level 3

Arrgghh!!!!!   Macs just don't do this to me!

So, Windows now lost the DLL again AND it's dropped off the network and can't see other computers and they cant see it - yet it can get to the internet.

C'mon Microsoft...   I thought Windows 7 had fixed all this stuff!  

< sigh >

• 5. Re: Mac User Need Windows Help  !
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I thought Windows 7 had fixed all this stuff! 

Works great when the rest of your machines are Windows 7 (or at least Windows something).