7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 10:48 PM by sudarshan.t RSS

    DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation

    hen3ry Community Member

      Folks:


      Not me, but my clumsy fingers started a site-wide operation  I didn't intend just now.

       

      In this case, I installed the "old" validator and I accidentally asked for site-wide validation, but it could be, say, a site-wide search-and-replace.   I've got a lot of files in my site directory tree, and DW is finding a bunch of prospective material lying around that generates lots of errors and takes a lot of processing.


      Is there a way to tell DW, "no, never mind, stop that now"  short of doing an OS force-quit?

      (Writing this distracted me long enough for the process to conclude, so the workaround might be as simple as:  "Get distracted for a while."   But there might be a better way, less disruptive of the workflow.)

       

      TIA,


      hen3ry

        • 1. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
          mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

          In Windows:

          Sometimes CTRL+Break does the trick;  Sometime CTRL+C does the trick.  If all fails then the best thing is to logoff from that account so that the system will stop all running processes.

           

          Your MAC should have something similar.  Now you know why a PC is far better than a MAC.

          • 2. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
            SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

            JTANNA wrote:

             

            In Windows:

            Sometimes CTRL+Break does the trick;  Sometime CTRL+C does the trick.  If all fails then the best thing is to logoff from that account so that the system will stop all running processes.

             

            Your MAC should have something similar.  Now you know why a PC is far better than a MAC.

             

            That's the stupid thing I've ever heard, or it might not be but it's pretty close.  Ctrl+C is a command prompt break, and neither would even stop a frozen PC application.  On the Mac you can click and hold or opt+click the application icon in the tray and force quit or CMD+Opt+Esc.

             

            But short of an OS force quit there is nothing you can do.

            • 3. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
              mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

              SnakEyez02 wrote:

               

               

              That's the stupid thing I've ever heard, or it might not be but it's pretty close.  Ctrl+C is a command prompt break, and neither would even stop a frozen PC application.  On the Mac you can click and hold or opt+click the application icon in the tray and force quit or CMD+Opt+Esc.

               

              But short of an OS force quit there is nothing you can do.

               

              Which part is the "stupid thing you've ever heard"?  Is it CTRL+Brieak or CTRL+C?  Or was it logging off and logging on also stupid?

               

              I just tried tried to run a dummy program (an academic program that generates long prime numbers) and I stopped it using CTRL+BREAK and Also CTRL+C.  I couldn't try logging off and logging on because my machine isn't that fast to do it.

              • 4. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
                hen3ry Community Member

                Maybe it would help if I re-asked the question in different terms: 

                 

                a) Does DW5 on MacOS monitor the user interface for a "cancel current operation" input?  If so, what is it?

                 

                b) Is there any alternative to "Force Quit" to cancel a "long" operation?

                 

                Note 1: Monitoring the UI is problematic because it slows down the application;  how much depends on how often.  Depending on the  app's internal architecture, it may simply not be possible to stop certain operations cleanly.  Both these would be reasonable motivations to omit a UI cancel function.

                 

                Note 2:  I think MacOS "Force Quit" sends a Unix "kill" signal (SIGKILL) which stops a running process in its tracks.  The process disappears,  and unsaved changes are lost.   I think Unix defines milder signals, signifying something like, "please stop what you are doing", but I have no idea if these are effective in the case of DW.

                • 5. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
                  mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

                  hen3ry wrote:

                   

                  Maybe it would help if I re-asked the question in different terms: 

                   

                  a) Does DW5 on MacOS monitor the user interface for a "cancel current operation" input?  If so, what is it?

                   

                  b) Is there any alternative to "Force Quit" to cancel a "long" operation?

                   


                   

                   

                  a) No

                   

                  b) No

                   

                   

                  hth

                  • 6. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
                    hen3ry Community Member

                    In DW CS6, a long site-wide validation run can be aborted.

                     

                    In CS6, with the Results panel open to the Validation tab, starting a site-wide validation exposes (colors?) a tiny stop icon on the left column of the panel.  Once I figured out that this icon represented a stop sign, I found that the site-wide validation can be aborted immediately by clicking on it.

                     

                    I have no idea if this was the case in earlier versions. 

                    • 7. Re: DW CS5 Mac:  how to cancel a ---l-o-n-g--- operation
                      sudarshan.t CommunityMVP

                      Yes, CS5 does have this feature.

                       

                      For changing links sitewide, when it prompts if you want to update links and when you hit OK, you will have a 'Stop' button to stop the process.

                       

                      Same for validation:

                       

                      Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 12.15.25 PM.png

                       

                      Just below 'Check links' (Green Play icon) is the 'Stop' button to stop the process.

                       

                      -ST