1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2011 5:25 AM by Peter Spier

Problem with right/left alignment combo (same paragraph)

clainen

Sounds lke this should be easy to figure out, but i just don't seem to be able to work out a good solution to this problem:

I need to format around 5 pages (and 30 paragraps) with right aligned section header and left aligned content. First line of content should be on the same baseline as section header. Adding "indent to here" character helps with proper alighment, but it means i have to manually insert that character for every paragraph, which i don't want to do for so many. I am hoping there is an automated method to acheave this layout.

The image below shows my current situation and ideal one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

inDesign_problem.jpg

• 1. Re: Problem with right/left alignment combo (same paragraph)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think I would add a character-aligned tab using the colon in your paragraph style and use a GREP Find/Change.

Find: ^.+:  (note that you can't see it here, but there should be a space after the colon in the find field)

Change to: \t$0~i

which will insert a tab in front of the first character in the paragraph and the indent to here character after the space. If you want to add formatting like Bold to the heading you can either do it as a nested style, or apply it as part of the change formatting in the query. You'll need another style that has a left indent applied for intermediate paragraphs that don't have headings .

You don't actually need the indent to here character if you set a left indent and negative first line indent as part of the paragraph style, but getting the tab in precisely the correct location for the first character in the text after the heading is fussy. On the other hand, if you need to add an indent for intermediate paragraphs, you'll be fussing anyway. You could simplify the spacing problem by using a fixed-width space, such as an en-space after the colon, then you can set the tab position the fixed space in front of the indent -- for an en-space that would be left-indent minus one-half of the type size in points.

For that I'd modify the GREP to

Find: ^(.+:)( )   (there's a space between the second parentheses)

Change to: \t$1~> (for the en-space -- use the corect symbol for the space you choose)