6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 2:01 AM by Michael Gianino

Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign

richardsullivan

I have entire book designed in PageMaker 5.5 that I need to update. I realize that InDesign will convert/import PM 6.0 files, but it will not convert/import PM 5.5 files.

Is there a way, or does someone offer a service that will convert my Mac PM 5.5 files into PM 6.0 so then I can import them into InDesign on the Mac? Or perhaps convert the 5.5 files into InDesign CS files? I have not upgraded since InDesign CS, so I am still using basic InDesign CS.

I run Mac 10.5.8 OS so I understand I cannot purchase/install PM 6.0, because PM ran on System 9.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's still an Adobe Pagemaker Forum. Someone there might be able to help do the conversion to Pagemaker 6 files.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/pagemaker_general

• 2. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no such as animal as PM 5.5 but I gotta ask, what could possibly be in those documents that would be of much use after the better part of 20 years?

Just curious.

+1 on Steve's suggestion but don't expect a flood of responses. The PM forum is about as dead as the software itself.

Bob

• 3. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I actually keep an old Mirror Door G4 around so I can boot into OS 9 natively to rescue old forms in PM5 through PM7.  Send me a PM.

There is no such as animal as PM 5.5 but I gotta ask, what could possibly be in those documents that would be of much use after the better part of 20 years?

Just curious.

All depends on what they are, you know? I have a slew of multilingual medical glossaries that I rescued from PM5 oblivion the other week. Obviously some terminology has changed over the intervening years (and plenty of new terms will need to be added, of course) but cardiac arrest has been called "cardiac arrest" for quite some time, and will continue to be called "cardiac arrest" for the foreseeable future.

• 4. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
                richardsullivan Level 1

Hi Joel,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my plight.

It turns out the files I had that a friend copied for me from an old 

Syquest 270MB cartridge have gone missing. So now I have to search to 

see if anyone has the capability to open this old Syquest and copy the 

files.

Thank you for your kind offer. I greatly appreciate it Joel.

Best regards,

Richard Sullivan

Quoting Joel Cherney <forums@adobe.com>:

I actually keep an old Mirror Door G4 around so I can boot into OS 9 

natively to rescue old forms in PM5 through PM7.  Send me a PM.

>> There is no such as animal as PM 5.5 but I gotta ask, what could 

>> possibly be in those documents that would be of much use after the 

>> better part of 20 years?

>>  

>> Just curious.

All depends on what they are, you know? I have a slew of 

multilingual medical glossaries that I rescued from PM5 oblivion the 

other week. Obviously some terminology has changed over the 

intervening years (and plenty of new terms will need to be added, of 

course) but cardiac arrest has been called "cardiac arrest" for 

quite some time, and will continue to be called "cardiac arrest" for 

the foreseeable future.

>

• 5. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  an old Syquest 270MB cartridge

Well, Richard, I have a fair bit of unusual old hardware in my History Closet. I don't believe that I have that particular drive (unless it's a magneto-optical drive, and I am pretty sure that those were 44meg jobs) but if I do I'll drop you a line.

• 6. Re: Convert old PageMaker 5.5 files to InDesign
                    Michael Gianino Level 4

richardsullivan wrote:

…this old Syquest…

I thought Sy Quest was Johnny Quest's older, Jewish uncle…