Oh, I should mention, the game causes the entire monitor to flicker, every second or so.
/thx for any help
Does it run OK in your authoring environment? Which version of Shockwave do you have installed? Have you tried a complete un-install and reinstall of Shockwave?
Thanks for the ideas Sean.
It runs fine in the authoring environment (Director MX 2004) and I did an uninstall > reinstall of Shockwave Player 11.6. Still get the entire-screen-flicker.
But I'm also having some lockup problems on my PC (NT), and I've got an awful lot of software on this thing, so I may go the route of reinstalling NT and reloading only mission-critical software, though I'm not excited about that option.
Okay, wanted to mention in case anyone else runs into this, when I went into a different login in my computer (NT) I was able to get the movie to run fine. So I will probably just move my shortcuts to the new login and see if that fixes the problem. Still not sure what caused this problem, but I'll take any workaround I can get.
If anyone else runs across Shockwave going super-slow and causing screen flicker, please add a comment, I am keeping this post open for now. By the way, in case it matters, all of my shockwave games are 3d, so that could be a factor.
Okay, the wierdness continues - first it was working on a login I keep for my wife, which is non-administrator.
Then I made another new login for myself that had admin rights, and it worked there too.
Then I updated Firefox to latest, and quicktime, itunes, to latest - and it didn't work.
Then I uninstalled quicktime and itunes, and it still didn't work.
Now I go back to my wife's non-admin login, and it works.
Just posting these notes in case anyone has a clue.
It soulds like there is something running on your normal account that is not running on your wife's. Something that is taking up a lot of memory and/or processor time. I would start by looking in the Task Manager's Processes tab to see what is going crazy. The fact that the same issue occurs on admin accounts but not non-admin accounts leaves me to guess that it is a virus, which is not allowed to install or run under the non-admin login. My next step would be to make a new non-admin login and install a new antivirus program (not the one you are currently using, but a different one. There are several free ones like AVG, Avast, Commodo, etc). You will need to install it as an administrator, but you should be able to "run as..." an admin. Then update it and run a full scan and see if it finds anything.
Thanks for the idea, Mike. I gave it a try;
First, there is no apparent process hog on my system; It's mostly system idle until I launch a browser. I've also looked at my processes with Process Explorer and nothing jumps out as unusual (to my untrained eyes). Though I agree with your suspicion, it sure feels like something is hogging the CPU, however it must be hidden somehow. I doubt if it is in Firefox or the other browsers, since I have reinstalled Firefox and Opera and still get the problem.
My virus checker, zonealarm, found two viruses, and comodo found six. I also found a few suspicious processes. But after removing the viruses and killing the suspicious processes, the shockwave (slow, flickering) problem persists.
So I am stumped for the meantime.I would have thought that this would be a better-known issue, I don't like blazing this kind of trail.
If anyone has any wild ideas, let me know.
I've tried several of my 3d director movies, none of them work, but I found some old simple movies I had from books and such, which worked. I also found a few shockwave samples out there that worked in my browsers. Now, my old 3d files all used to work fine, back in 2005-6-7. Now they don't, unless I am in a browsing session under a non-admin login.
Pretty strange. So I have to accept the possibility that it is something in my code that doesn't play with the newer shockwave player, possibly combined with something on my system.
For now, I'm going to have to let this lie, I don't have time to troubleshoot these files which are several hundred lines of code (and worked fine before!). But if I get it solved, I'll report back here. And if anyone has seen something similar, please post.