14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2006 9:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

    "Update HTML" problems in 2004 MX

    supshur
      I get a strange message when I try to update my HTML file in Dreamweaver from Fireworks. After changing some things on my PNG file in FIreworks, I go to update HTML, select the HTML file that needs updating, then it gives me a pop-up that says: " A Fireworks table was found, but changes require that the HTML be replaced. OK to replace?" I'm not sure why it will not update the file and only replace it, like re-exporting the file. I don't want to change some of the attributes of the Dreamweaver HTML, only the few parts I changed in Fireworks. Any Ideas?
        • 1. Re: "Update HTML" problems in 2004 MX
          Level 7
          Personally I don't let FW create any HTML for me. I do all that in DW. I
          use FW for exporting images. - but that is just me -

          alex

          supshur wrote:
          > I get a strange message when I try to update my HTML file in Dreamweaver from
          > Fireworks. After changing some things on my PNG file in FIreworks, I go to
          > update HTML, select the HTML file that needs updating, then it gives me a
          > pop-up that says: " A Fireworks table was found, but changes require that the
          > HTML be replaced. OK to replace?" I'm not sure why it will not update the file
          > and only replace it, like re-exporting the file. I don't want to change some of
          > the attributes of the Dreamweaver HTML, only the few parts I changed in
          > Fireworks. Any Ideas?
          >
          • 2. Re: "Update HTML" problems in 2004 MX
            Level 7
            Me too.

            --
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================


            "Alex Mariño" <alSePxmar@AmMt.net> wrote in message
            news:eio8f7$45e$2@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Personally I don't let FW create any HTML for me. I do all that in DW. I
            > use FW for exporting images. - but that is just me -
            >
            > alex
            >
            > supshur wrote:
            >> I get a strange message when I try to update my HTML file in Dreamweaver
            >> from Fireworks. After changing some things on my PNG file in FIreworks, I
            >> go to update HTML, select the HTML file that needs updating, then it
            >> gives me a pop-up that says: " A Fireworks table was found, but changes
            >> require that the HTML be replaced. OK to replace?" I'm not sure why it
            >> will not update the file and only replace it, like re-exporting the file.
            >> I don't want to change some of the attributes of the Dreamweaver HTML,
            >> only the few parts I changed in Fireworks. Any Ideas?
            >>


            • 3. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
              Level 7
              Murray *ACE* wrote:
              > Me too.
              >

              Three

              --
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                supshur Level 1
                Great. Why are you responing? Does anyone ELSE have a ligitimate answer?
                • 5. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                  Level 7
                  These are legitimate answers. Why are you using FW HTML?

                  --
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                  ==================


                  "supshur" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:eiofmv$cma$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Great. Why are you responing? Does anyone ELSE have a ligitimate answer?


                  • 6. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                    Level 7
                    supshur wrote:
                    > Great. Why are you responing? Does anyone ELSE have a ligitimate answer?

                    They may not be the answers you want to hear but they are quite
                    legitimate. Don't use a graphics editor to create your code. That will
                    only lead you into trouble and a world of grief. Learn the basics of
                    HTML and CSS yourself and you'll get much better control of your pages
                    regardless of the Web authoring application you use (I use Dreamweaver).
                    It really isn't that hard to get the basics.

                    --
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach:connect:communicate
                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                    www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                      Level 7
                      supshur;
                      I agree for the most part with the other replies, although IMO fw code
                      can be fine for some things (page mock-ups, temporary pages, single table
                      exports etc), and "roundtripping' can be useful in those cases. There are
                      limitations though--once you've altered fw produced code in dreamweaver,
                      those new changes cannot be "automagically" incorporated back into your
                      existing fw png. You might be able to import your new html into fw (provided
                      the dw changes lie within fw capabilities), but once you've altered fw code
                      in dw, it's best to do as other's have suggested--export your altered
                      images/slices only, and code in dw. -Tom Unger


                      • 8. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                        supshur Level 1
                        I understand that you all think it is better to edit html in DW. I appreciate your concerns and don't disagree; but that is not my question. My question is why this pop-up message has been generated; regardless of the intent. This is not something covered in any of the help menus and seems to have no topical explaination. Maybe I don't understand the actual process the program administers when it is "updating" the HTML. So please allow me to remove my intent from the question and just ask if anyone knows why this pop-up has been generated, and what specifically would keep the program from updating the html.
                        • 9. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                          Level 7
                          My guess is that the changes you made dictate rewriting the page
                          completely instead of updating the existing table structure.

                          I guess you could save to a new file and compare both the old and the
                          new to see what has changed.
                          I have seen FW create some nasty tables with tons of spacer gifs.
                          Which is why Jim, Murray and Stephane chimed in.

                          Do you have nested tables?
                          http://tinyurl.com/y8fnv2



                          supshur wrote:
                          > I understand that you all think it is better to edit html in DW. I appreciate
                          > your concerns and don't disagree; but that is not my question. My question is
                          > why this pop-up message has been generated; regardless of the intent. This is
                          > not something covered in any of the help menus and seems to have no topical
                          > explaination. Maybe I don't understand the actual process the program
                          > administers when it is "updating" the HTML. So please allow me to remove my
                          > intent from the question and just ask if anyone knows why this pop-up has been
                          > generated, and what specifically would keep the program from updating the html.
                          >
                          • 10. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                            Level 7
                            Did you make changes to the code in Dreamweaver before you tried to
                            re-export the file? Did you view the code or the page in Dreamweaver after
                            you exprted the file? There are settings in Dreamweaver that will modify
                            code automatically depending on several factors, so it appears that FW is
                            reading these changes and letting you decide if you really weant to change
                            them. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

                            Then you have to decide if you did make changes, if you want to overwrite
                            them or leave them alone. Most every program I've ever used has all kinds
                            of redundant safety messages to (try) and prevent you from messing up
                            something better left alone.


                            "supshur" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:eipa0t$a09$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >I understand that you all think it is better to edit html in DW. I
                            >appreciate
                            > your concerns and don't disagree; but that is not my question. My question
                            > is
                            > why this pop-up message has been generated; regardless of the intent. This
                            > is
                            > not something covered in any of the help menus and seems to have no
                            > topical
                            > explaination. Maybe I don't understand the actual process the program
                            > administers when it is "updating" the HTML. So please allow me to remove
                            > my
                            > intent from the question and just ask if anyone knows why this pop-up has
                            > been
                            > generated, and what specifically would keep the program from updating the
                            > html.
                            >


                            • 11. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                              supshur Level 1
                              Alex/ Michael,

                              I did not have nested tables. I was using spacers (1pixel transparent spacers). I did open and edit the code in DW (changing the 'title' attribute in some buttons). I still am confused how the program updates. Could it not just "update HTML" by replacing the information in one table cell (.gif) and leave the HTML in other cells alone? I don't understand how anyone would need to "update" as opposed to "replace" anything, without opening the file in DW and/or editing the HTML in DW. I guess, fundamentally, I don't understand FW's definitions of "update" vs "replace".
                              • 12. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                                Level 7
                                Which is why we all encourage you to learn how to do this without having
                                FW generate the code for you.

                                Once you get to where you are not relying on FW you won't have any need
                                for all those spacers and your tables will be leaner and meaner and
                                eventually you could transition to tableless layouts.

                                If you are just changing an existing image inside of a cell and the
                                dimensions have not changed it would just be a matter of exporting that
                                slice and be done with it.

                                alex

                                supshur wrote:
                                > Alex/ Michael,
                                >
                                > I did not have nested tables. I was using spacers (1pixel transparent
                                > spacers). I did open and edit the code in DW (changing the 'title' attribute in
                                > some buttons). I still am confused how the program updates. Could it not just
                                > "update HTML" by replacing the information in one table cell (.gif) and leave
                                > the HTML in other cells alone? I don't understand how anyone would need to
                                > "update" as opposed to "replace" anything, without opening the file in DW
                                > and/or editing the HTML in DW. I guess, fundamentally, I don't understand FW's
                                > definitions of "update" vs "replace".
                                >
                                • 13. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                                  supshur Level 1
                                  Alex,

                                  I understand what you are saying. That, however, does not answer the question to what the program is doing when it "updates" and, really, why there is even an "update HTML" option at all since it doesn't seem to work unless you don't touch the html file after it has been exported; which you could just export the file again (replacing it), for which there is no point to having an "Update" vs "replace" option. I believe there must be a usable function behind this "update" choice but all I seem to see in response is: not to use Fireworks for what it says it can do. That wouldn't be a problem for me if people showed that they knew what Fireworks could and could not do in this situation, but that does not seem to be the case, as evident by the lack of respose to what "Updating HTML" fundamentaly means to Fireworks. (a beating around the bush, as I see it)

                                  I mean no ill will and I think we all want to make the FW/ DW software do the most for us, but that won't happen if we keep falling back on "old reliable" skills (basic html coding) to get us out of difficult spots and never confronting the true problem.

                                  So if you all are still all about me not using FW to code HTML for me: I GOT IT.... Now, What does "Updating HTML" fundamentaly mean to Fireworks?
                                  • 14. Re: &quot;Update HTML&quot; problems in 2004 MX
                                    Level 7
                                    From the FW help file:

                                    Fireworks updates the HTML and JavaScript code in the Dreamweaver
                                    document. Fireworks also exports updated images associated with the HTML
                                    and places the images in the specified destination folder.

                                    If Fireworks cannot find matching HTML code to update, it gives you the
                                    option of inserting new HTML code into the Dreamweaver document.
                                    Fireworks places the JavaScript section of the new code at the beginning
                                    of the document and places the HTML table or link to the image at the end.

                                    With the Update HTML command, you can edit a source PNG image in
                                    Fireworks and then automatically update any exported HTML code and image
                                    files placed in a Dreamweaver document. This command lets you update
                                    Dreamweaver files even when Dreamweaver is not running.

                                    alex

                                    supshur wrote:
                                    > Alex,
                                    >
                                    > I understand what you are saying. That, however, does not answer the question
                                    > to what the program is doing when it "updates" and, really, why there is even
                                    > an "update HTML" option at all since it doesn't seem to work unless you don't
                                    > touch the html file after it has been exported; which you could just export the
                                    > file again (replacing it), for which there is no point to having an "Update" vs
                                    > "replace" option. I believe there must be a usable function behind this
                                    > "update" choice but all I seem to see in response is: not to use Fireworks
                                    > for what it says it can do. That wouldn't be a problem for me if people showed
                                    > that they knew what Fireworks could and could not do in this situation, but
                                    > that does not seem to be the case, as evident by the lack of respose to what
                                    > "Updating HTML" fundamentaly means to Fireworks. (a beating around the bush, as
                                    > I see it)
                                    >
                                    > I mean no ill will and I think we all want to make the FW/ DW software do the
                                    > most for us, but that won't happen if we keep falling back on "old reliable"
                                    > skills (basic html coding) to get us out of difficult spots and never
                                    > confronting the true problem.
                                    >
                                    > So if you all are still all about me not using FW to code HTML for me: I GOT
                                    > IT.... Now, What does "Updating HTML" fundamentaly mean to Fireworks?
                                    >
                                    >