5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 5:28 AM by Silviu Vergoti

RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5

Savin44

We have a flex 4.5 application that uses the StrobeMediaPlayback player and OSMF 1.5 framework.

Behind our corporate firewall RTMP is blocked but RTMPT works fine for all platforms except Mac.

On Macs it almost seems like RTMPT is being blocked, which is hard to believe, so I must be doing something else wrong.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Al

• 1. Re: RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5
          Silviu Vergoti Adobe Employee

Hi,

What FMS version do you use for rtmp streaming?

• 2. Re: RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5
            Savin44 Level 1

This is an Akamai URL (edgefcs.net) so I do not really know what server they use. However, since they are a paid service I would assume they are using something that should work with all players (network loaders).

• 3. Re: RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5

Hi,

I've just tested rtmpt on Mac Safari 5 FP plugin 10.3.183.5 using OSMF with the other rtm* protocols disabled, playing from FMS 4.0 and it works.

Some incompatibilities appear though when using a 3rd party server that does not implement the protocol as expected by Flash Player.

The bottom line is that it's not an OSMF bug, it seems to be at the interface between Flash Player and the media server

S.

• 4. Re: RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5
                Savin44 Level 1

This issue happens only in certain Macs (specific older laptops). I did find a work-around. Summarizing it below.

Problem:

a) Root Problem: On all other platforms, switching streams when the URL is rtmp (but rtmp is blocked, so it was defaulting to rtmpt) does not work (only the first stream works). When the  stream is switched, OSMF aborts attempting to establish a connection. Solution 1 to Root Problem: However, if we specify the stream as rtmpT, then it switches properly (in an environment where rtmp is blocked). So we used rtmpt. The url will be something like "rtmpt://[server]/asset".

b) The above solution now does results in a problem in some Mac laptops! If a url with rtmpT protocol is given, the OSMF player does not work on these Macs.

Solution: (work-around).

a) Solution 2 to Root Problem: If we simply recreate the OSMF player instance (removeChild, new ... addChild) then the new player has no problem playing the new stream. It seems there is either some bug in the OSMF network connection code, or I am using it wrong. Either way, when a new player is created every time we have no problem switching streams, and we can keep the URLs will be something like "rtmp://[server]/asset".  We do reuse the NetLoader.

b) Since we did not have to replace rtmp with rtmpt, now the mac problem does not appear anymore.

Sorry for such a wordy explanation, but I am new to video streaming/actionscript, so just reporting what works and what doesn't.

• 5. Re: RTMPT does not work in Mac from OSMF 1.5

Hi Savin44,

I created an issue report for you, in order to prioritize their analysis an fixing.

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FM-1388

Please feel free to use the bug tracker if you have any more details / replication code snippets or video assets or maybe eventual new issues.

Thanks in advance,

S.