4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2011 6:35 PM by Colin Brougham

canon 60d help

am@cmtv

Currently I am shooting with a 60d and I just switched from FCP to Adobe Premiere. Every time I try to use the footage it makes me render. Are my settings off or is there a way to edit without rendering after every edit?

• 1. Re: canon 60d help
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Does your sequence match your footage?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: canon 60d help
            Colin Brougham Level 6

What do you mean "makes you render?" Premiere Pro will never make you render anything. Even if you see red bars in your sequence, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to render. Check out this blog post for more specifics on what the render bars mean: Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean « Premiere Pro work area

That all said, are you having trouble with smooth playback?

• 3. Re: canon 60d help
              am@cmtv Level 1

Exactly, do I need to convert this to something smaller or upgrade my computer. I am currently running it on a 4 gigs of ram.

• 4. Re: canon 60d help
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Decoding and playing back H.264 as it is used by the Canon DSLRs requires a reasonably powerful processor and a fair bit of RAM; you didn't mention processor, but 4GB is really not quite enough.

You might get OK playback by right-clicking on the Program Monitor (or clicking the Output button) and selecting Playback Settings and changing the setting to 1/2 Resolution or 1/4 Resolution. If that doesn't work, you'll either have to consider a more powerful computer (obviously not the most attractive option from a financial standpoint), or you can transcode the files--that's essentially what you'd be doing with Log and Transfer in FCP. If you go the latter route, you can drop all your files into Adobe Media Encoder (AME) and pick a format and codec to use for converting the files. Assuming you're still on a Mac, and with FCP installed, you could use QuickTime as the format and ProRes as the codec (check out The Video Road – A ProRes workflow end-to-end) or any other codec you like. AME has many different container and codec options, so a little experimentation may be required, but if you're already familiar with a ProRes workflow, you can be up and running fairly quickly.

1 person found this helpful