2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2011 5:17 AM by BobLevine

indesign cs5 and photoshop cs5 preferences installed as one.

akosipilipno

I have Indesign cs5 and adobe photoshop cs5 extended installed in my copmputer. I see those two programs as the largest installed applications in my computer. I just wonder that maybe some of the preferences of Indesign cs5 and photoshop cs5 are the same. I am thinking that these files are the reason why the two applications are very large.

For example the Adobe Bridge cs5, i think that Adobe Bridge is installed two times in my computer. One from the installation of Indesign and one is from the Photoshop.

I just want to know if there is a way to install the two applications having their preferences installed once and both applications could use them. I think in that way i can save a free space in my hard drive. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: indesign cs5 and photoshop cs5 preferences installed as one.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

You cannot save space on your hard drive by combining portions of these programs, no.

Their "preferences" take up a very small fraction of the space used by these programs.

Furthermore, they already have an extensive set of common (shared) files that are used by both programs that are installed outside the program directories for each program.

Under Windows, that is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe. For Mac, /Library/Application Support/Adobe.

But no.

Also, hard drives are incredibly cheap. If you're worried about the size of these programs, you are doing something wrong and you're not going to be able to use them efficiently anyhow. In particular, effective use of photoshop needs many more times the size of the program in free space.

It's probably time to go and out buy several hundred GB (or some TB) of space.

• 2. Re: indesign cs5 and photoshop cs5 preferences installed as one.
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If this is a concern you need a new hard drive. Even if you could combine these, and you can't, you wouldn't save enough space to make it worth the work.

Bob