4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2011 3:54 PM by Bill Gehrke

What GTX580 version?! help needed

BITESBITER Level 1

Hi,

I'm buying a new computer for Production Suite CS5.5 and need advice for the GTX580 card I need to buy.

I'm going to use Premiere-pro and After Effects.

Footage comes from the Canon XF300 and I work in the highest resolution and speed (50Mbs).

At the moment I use 2 Samsung SyncMaster 226 SW monitors.

*GTX580 1536MB ASUS DCII/2DIS HDMI

*GTX580 1536MB EVGA DDR5 HDMI 2DVI

*GTX580 1536MB Gainward Good 2xDV HD

*GTX580 1536MB Palit DDR5 HDMI 2DVI

*GTX580 3072MB Gainward Phantom

*GTX580 3072MB Zotac

Thanks!  David

• 1. Re: What GTX580 version?! help needed
          Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

The only time it makes sense to get the 3 GB version is when you use large stills and would run out of VRAM. XF 300 material does not require that amount of VRAM. 1.5 GB is enough.

The choice of brand should be dictated by feature/price/guarantee ratio, although EVGA has a great reputation and may get my nod because of that.

• 2. Re: What GTX580 version?! help needed
            BITESBITER Level 1

Thanks Harm! Can you please explain the difference between EVGA Nvidia cards and the regular ones?

• 3. Re: What GTX580 version?! help needed
              RjL190365 Level 4

The biggest difference between brands of GTX 580 cards:

Warranty and support quality. Some of the lesser-known brands of cards give you an extremely short warranty with no extended options at all whatsoever - and many of those also deliver indifferent or even poor technical support. That means that if something goes wrong or if you need assistance in properly configuring the card, some companies are more likely to screw you over (read: leave you "holding the bag") than help you at all whatsoever.

• 4. Re: What GTX580 version?! help needed
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BITESBITER wrote:

Thanks Harm! Can you please explain the difference between EVGA Nvidia cards and the regular ones?

Well Harm is asleep by now, at least I hope so

I guess you are asking why Harm favored EVGA.  If so in my case it is because their quality and warranty seem very good.  I happen to have bought an EVGA GTX 580 along with several preceeding versions and a few PNY GPU's and have had very satisfatory experience with them.