12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 3:06 PM by Arthur Joyce

Placing photos into ID CS5

Arthur Joyce

I upgraded to Lion  and I'm using ID CS5 version 7.0.4. I don't know if my problem is with ID or with the Apple Media Browser. I just know that I can't place additional photos into my ID document after I place the first one. The only way I can place another is to quit ID and restart it. They I can place another photo from Aperture. But again, if I want to place more than one after opening ID, then I'd have to quit ID and restart it.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what I can do about it and whether it's an issue with Adobe ID or Apple Media Browser?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please describe in detail waht you are trying to do. Are you using File > Place, dragging, selecting multiple files at once, single file, then another single file?

• 2. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
            Arthur Joyce Level 1

I am going to File/Place or command-D - Then I'm choosing "photos" in the left column of the selection dialog box. Then I click on Aperture in the right side of the box and choose my desired album. Then I find the picture I want and double click it to put it into the document.

The very first time I do the above, after opening ID, the process works fine and dandy. But, if after placing a picture I want to place another picture and I repeat the process above, when I double click on my selected image it doesn't get placed but instead comes forward and shows me a larger image of the picture. There's nothing I can do at that point to get the photo into the ID document.

If I export all of the pictures I want to use from Aperture to the Desktop and then drag and drop them into my ID document, the problem doesn't happen, and I'm able to get the pictures into the document. But then I'm left with images on my desktop that HAVE to be there, unless I embed the links into my ID document.

• 3. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5

Being a Windows user I can't help you, but my instinct is this is probably an Aperture issue. You can hang in her for a while and see if anyone else knows something, or try to see if there are any answers on Appl's forums.

• 4. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                Arthur Joyce Level 1

Well, thanks for your willingness to help. It's appreciated. I never had the problem until I updated to Lion so I'm inclined to think that it's Adobe's problem and ID needs to have some modifications because of the new system, but I could be wrong in that assessment.

• 5. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5

A a general rule of thumb, if software was written to run on one operating system and does so as it should, and an upgrade to the OD breaks something, the problem lies in the new OS and a failure to maintain backward compatibility, either by design or oversight.

• 6. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                    John Hawkinson Level 5
                    I am going to File/Place or command-D - Then I'm choosing "photos" in the left column of the selection dialog box. Then I click on Aperture in the right side of the box and choose my desired album. Then I find the picture I want and double click it to put it into the document.

I can't tell if the Aperture is a normal folder on your hard drive, or if there is something special going on when you click the shortcut in the sidebar. In any event, I would suggest you see what happens if you click Open instead of double-clicking the filename. I concur it sounds like a Lion-related problem.

As a horrid workaround, after you place the files on your Desktop, you can remove them from there, and then choose Relink..., and once you relink one file, all the others will follow, assuming their targets are in the same folder.

Does File > Place-ing photos from the Desktop work?

How about drag-and-dropping from the Aperture photos folder?

• 7. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                      Arthur Joyce Level 1

Thank you, John for you comments and willingness to help. My photos in Aperture are managed by Aperture. That means they are stored in my Aperture library file and not in a finder folder.

After placing the first photo into ID (and that works) if I go back to place a second photo, the "Open" button never becomes active. That's probably why double-clicking the selection just causes it to get bigger and bring it to the front of all the other photos. I never noticed this before that the "Open" button was grayed out when I couldn't place the photo. The fact that it works the first time after opening ID and then doesn't, causes me to wonder if there's some incompatibility between ID CS5 and Mac OS Lion.

If I export from Aperture to the Desktop I can use the "Place" command over and over again to pick up the files that are there.

The problem with putting the files on the desktop, placing them from there, and then choosing "relink" is that I can't relink it if the file is gone. I get the same problem as described above with the open button never becoming active.  And trying to discover through the finder where that photo is stored in the "belly" of the Aperture library file is almost impossible.

I know that I could export the files to the desktop, place them, and then "embed" them into the ID file I'm working with, but that's just a lot of extra steps that shouldn't be necessary.

Hopefully this gives a better understanding.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                        The fact that it works the first time after opening ID and then doesn't, causes me to wonder if there's some incompatibility between ID CS5 and Mac OS Lion.

I think that's pretty much a certainty, but it could even be a 3-way issue between InDesign, Lion, and Aperture. Of course, Lion and Aperture are both Apple products...

Sorry. You may have better luck in an Aperture-specific forum. You might also see if you have similar programs with other apps than InDesign, that may lead you towards a workaround or something.

• 9. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                          kerry suzanne james

I have been having the same problem, it's driving me mad! I started making a photobook which I was half way through, all was well then I downloaded lion and now I have the same problem, you can drag and drop from aperture but I dont want too. If you work it out please share. thankyou

• 10. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                            Arthur Joyce Level 1

Kerry,

I am so glad that you responded. You have validated my problem. I felt that I was totally alone in this and now I know that I'm not. So far I haven't found a solution and it is indeed so frustrating when I'm placing several pictures. So far Adobe hasn't really "lionized" their apps so maybe they will quickly get around to that and we'll see a big change when they do. I'm looking forward to it. Lion has so many great features and right now my "major" apps that I use aren't Lion ready. At leadt they don't crash under Lion, but it will be good when they actually take advantage of the system.

So, I'm thinking that the only solution is for Adobe to get their apps Lionized. I don't believe there's going to be a workaround in this.

Art

• 11. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                              AlecSmythe Level 1

same problem here. Will place the first photo from the photo browser, then the button goes gray and you're hosed. Very irritating.

• 12. Re: Placing photos into ID CS5
                                Arthur Joyce Level 1

I keep looking around for some way to say that this issue hasn't been answered yet. I think it's odd that the top of this forum page says that it has possiblly been answered. No! it has not. Now there are three of us who say it hasn't.

Hope springs eternal!

Art