4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2011 11:09 AM by Colin Brougham

Export Settings

OstiaAlex

Two quick questions from this X FCP user:

a) when I export, how do I set the target location for my finished video? Can't seem to find any way to direct this in the Export settings window.

b) what is the best codec to export a video when you want it to go strait to Vimeo? (1080, 25 fps, Progressive)

• 1. Re: Export Settings
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Forgive the crude rendering

output.png

Note that the Vimeo HD preset defaults to 1280x720; you can customize this for a 1080p export and save it as a new preset. You will probably want to bump up the bit rate a little bit to account for the larger frame size.

• 2. Re: Export Settings
            OstiaAlex Level 1

OK great. I also saw after asking this question that the Vimeo HD was defaulted to 29 fps for some reason, so I guess I can customize that in the settings along with the frame size. Cheers!

For now I've gone with a custome setting, as Vimeo didn't like my last upload. Probably cause the audio was still at 48 kHz

• 3. Re: Export Settings
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Vimeo may have more stringent requirements regarding source; I really don't use Vimeo that much, so I can't say I've had a file that was rejected. YouTube will eat just about anything you throw at it. Obviously, you want to get as close as you can to meeting any particular video service's demands, but that's not always possible. When all else fails, just experiment: create 5-10 second encodes and shove them up the pipe to see what happens. There is some science to video encoding, but with online video services, it's more magic and alchemy and luck than anything else